Picture of Alyth yard in Calgary.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I found a cool picture of Alyth yard, where I work, so here it is!

alyth.jpg

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Mike, thats almost as big as your layout! :D That is one great shot, do you think it was taken by helicopter or from the top of a hill/mountain? Don't we all wish we had that kind of room on our layouts? Pat

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
60103 said:
Mike: which are the reception tracks? I'm not sure just how the traffic flows in the yard.
I was there at the NMRA convention in 79(?). I think I have a few slides, but no way to get them on here.

Starting at the bottom far left, there is
-'P' yard, P1-P11, then
-'V' yard, V2-12, then
-the classification yard, tracks 1-48 to the right of that
-'N' yard, N1-N7 ar short tracks, and N8-N14 are long ones, tere are N15 and N16 to repair tank cars, and the 2 tracks at the far right are N17 and N18, used to run power from one end of the yard to the other.
The tracks right in the front by the river, are a CN interchange yard, with 4 tracks that hold about 25 cars each.

In all, the yard is about 100 tracks wide and about 2 miles long. The part you can see here anyway.

I guess P yard and the longer tracks in N yard are for building outgoing trains. V yard is for incoming trains to be humped, and the class yard is at the enf of the hump. But the yard is so busy, they use whatever tracks are avilible for whatever they want!
I hope this helps a bit.