Phabulous Phantom F4B in 1/33

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasco

Jan 4, 2005
Sycamore, IL
I am very gratified to see that others make boo-boos and even more gratified that you aren't afraid to show it! Beautiful work. Beautiful plane. I even like your counter-top.

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
On to the wings

The wings are basically 2 sections inboard and outboard. I started on the right wing 1st (Republican guess). You have to build the innards 1st, the wheel well and speedbrake wells. You should gently round/crease the forward edge of the wings 1st to take out the excess spring when bending this around the wing former. When dry fitting the wells I noticed the openingds in the wing were the same size as the wells, this would've placed the wells with the ends showing on the wing underside. What I did was to cut outside the black lines of the openings in the wing. This would allow a lip for the wells to rest inside giving a much cleaner fit.

Attachments

• airbrake and well.jpg
    airbrake and well.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 117
  • starting the wing , wheel well and airbrake well.jpg
    starting the wing , wheel well and airbrake well.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 77
  • brake opening with undersized cutout.jpg
    brake opening with undersized cutout.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 78
  • wheel well installed.jpg
    wheel well installed.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 99

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
On to the wing, continued

After the wells have been installed the former is glued to the bottom of the wing, after it dries the upper part is bent around the formers and the aft ends are glued up. Do not place glue all over the former box that sits inbetween the rib parts, if you do Murphy's law states it will sink and sag to fit onto that glued box giving you a very unsightly wing. One of our members here gaave us this tip and it was well taken, thanks whoever you are.

Attachments

• inboard r wing - flaps etc.jpg
    inboard r wing - flaps etc.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 97
  • finished inboard r bottom.jpg
    finished inboard r bottom.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 127

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Thanks DW, need a break, some of this is nerve racking, esp when you need lots of glue in only the right spots. I can finally see some light at the end of a real long tunnel, there is lots more to do but, fitting the wings is only the smallest of the new problems to come.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
There has always been something about the look of this lady that appealed to me...not sure exactly what, maybe the slopping nose, the gull wings, or a combination of those and other things, but I'll tell you what, this build is one awesome piece of work! I know it's been a long haul at times, and detail after detail to be dealt with, but I assure you I am not the only one who recognizes what a excellent build you are making, Ted.

Your enhancement of the sidewinders came out spectacular and will add so much to the model as a whole when you finish her up...and, yes, there is definitely an end in sight, but the voyage and watching your updates have been so much fun I hate to see an end to this thread, but then that would be selfish on my part.:wink:

Keep at it, she is really coming along brilliantly!

Cheers!

Jim

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
The Shape of things to come

Jim, thankyou , and the rest of the group for the push and encouragement. Just for Hahs, I dry fit most of the finished components to see what shape the bird was in. The right wing parts are done, except final assembly, the tail and stabs are done, the missiles are done, the list of things to do are winding down, detail pts, landing gear l wing underside aft and external full tank(s). Nothing in the photos is glued down yet, this was just a teaser for you and for me, something to stay focused on so that I finish the darn thing!

Attachments

• fwd view.jpg
    fwd view.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 2nd dry run.jpg
    2nd dry run.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 86
  • stb view 2.jpg
    stb view 2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 98

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Small bits pt 1

Well after a couple days of feeling smug with the way things have shaped up, (read-builder's block), and small amounts of time available, I finished the sidewinder launch rails. I had to scavenge the correct Navy launch pylons from the Halinski F4J kit. The GPMs are correct for the USAF versions and are fine pieces as designed, but I remembered there was a differance. The Squadron signal F4s in action shows the main differances. Halinski designs a great bunch of kits and I mean no disrespect, but D--- it, there is such a thing as overcomplicated! They had you laminating to 4 differant thicknesses etc. I just kept the pylon as designed, and redid the launchers, the actual rails that the missiles sit on are part Halinski minus about 4 parts each. The final thing is more than strong enough, has a little more detail, and looks ok to me. I posed a couple Aim9Bs on the rails to motivate me further.....

Attachments

• sidewinder rails 1.jpg
    sidewinder rails 1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 73
  • aim 9 bs.jpg
    aim 9 bs.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 9bs placed not glued.jpg
    9bs placed not glued.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 93

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
We Have wings

Today was a slight bitter/sweet day. The wings were finished and fitted to the fuselage. But... there were some fitting "Issues". The r wing fit well enough, the left however, no matter how much it was trimmed etc, still left a huge gap, at the topside root, and below. The kit does come with a very thin fairing strip for the wing root to fuselage gap, but it is too thin, and the forward section is not wide enough. There is also a part I was puzzling about for the longest time, until now, it fits/bridges the gap on the underside where the forward part of the wings are. I'll have to redesign the fairing strips to cover the gaps. Overall I'm satisfied with the build, most of the parts fit well, so some of it could still be me, but not all of it......

Attachments

• underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 145
  • some fit issues.jpg
    some fit issues.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 67
  • topside.jpg
    topside.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 77

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Phixed wing root Pharings.

Last post I was less than thrilled with the wing to fuselage fit. The kit fairing was the skinny little thing in the pic, which would've fit if all worked out well but as usual the wing fit was bad, either me or the kit I dunno. So like everything else in the kit, I redesigned the new fairings and after some nudging they finally look alright.

Attachments

• old fairing,bottom new top.jpg
    old fairing,bottom new top.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 64
  • l fairing in place.jpg
    l fairing in place.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 58
  • r fairing in place.jpg
    r fairing in place.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 155

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
The bottom plate

The next hurdle was the bottom plate, infamous part 13. This was supposed to close the aft fuselage just forward of the exhaust nozzles and fit right up to the wing bottom halves towards the front. Well as you can see from the pic it was undersized. I think it would've actually fit with only alittle nudgeing but this also dovetails into my next gripe with this kit the Damn sparrow troughs. There had to be a better way than just curling and shoving a butt fit half cylinder down that little opening. So I redesigned the whole bottom section and the troughs.

Attachments

• old bottom plate.jpg
    old bottom plate.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 155
  • bottom plate old top new bottom.jpg
    bottom plate old top new bottom.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 77
  • new bottom plate installed.jpg
    new bottom plate installed.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 64

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
The sparrow launch troughs- again.

The kit launch troughs are little grass blade shaped pieces of plain card. The are to be half rolled and butt joined into the various gaps in the lower hull, sometimes adding to the overall structure as in the front tubes, or just detail as in the after tubes. I had a devil of a time getting the front tubes in place and looking ok, but I knew this was not the better solution. I redesigned the tubes , 1st to the correct length for the in scale Sparrow missiles, and 2 ease of assembly and 3rd for looks. The answer was to add a lip around the periphery that would hold the tube in place, look ok and fill unsightly gaps wothout being pushed too far into the fuselage. Ther may be an time where someone may not want to place all the missile load onboard. The pics show the evolution of the tubes and the final fit and placement.

Attachments

• 1st run trough refit solution.jpg
    1st run trough refit solution.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 149
  • damn sparrow troughs again 1.jpg
    damn sparrow troughs again 1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 89
  • new sparrow trough.jpg
    new sparrow trough.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 67

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
The fuselage bottom completed

Well after solving this bunch of fitting issues, it is now time to take the rest of the night off and watch mindless visual stimuli and consume massive amounts of a fermented beverage. More later......

Attachments

• new bottom 1.jpg
    new bottom 1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 83
  • new bottom 2.jpg
    new bottom 2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 72

Ashrunner

Sep 26, 2005
Redmond, Oregon
That thar Phantom is looking good. It appears you're do a great job overcoming problems. Still wish I was looking at an AF bird 8v) but since it is Navy, I can understand some of the phit problems.

dwgannon

Feb 6, 2004
Hoffman Estates,IL
You are doing great work and teaching us all some good techniques. I like how you test fit every thing to make sure you are on the money. I must remember this when I get back to building.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Ted!:)

Great play by play, fitting problems, solutions and all!

Your attention to details, fitting and providing us with your solutions is very much appreciated, not just for those that plan on building this model, but as a lesson in building techniques in general to anyone.

I'm learning a lot from your build thread, and thank you for taking the time to post a very detailed narrative as well as many photos to illustrate the various aspects of this build.

Keep at it, mate, she is really looking outstanding!

Cheers!
Jim

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Thanks guys one and all, Sunday, yesterday here in the states was pretty productive. The 1st posting shows the Stabilators and fin being installed, the kit instructions would have you join both the rolled cylinders inside the fuselage with a bit of rubber tubing allowing the stabs to pivot in sync with each other, fine for kids but I really don't play with the planes I keep for the collection, so I just glued both to the fuselage in a neutral position. The fin fit well enough, there was a bit of gap between the fuselage and the fin but this was covered well by the kits fairing piece. The other pics in the series show the 3 parts lined up and the wing tips being attached to the main wing body.

Attachments

• stab pts 1.jpg
    stab pts 1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 76
  • stab 2.jpg
    stab 2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 139
  • tail assembly.jpg
    tail assembly.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 52
  • tail boom 1.jpg
    tail boom 1.jpg