Pepakura dragon

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
2.5 times yes. Please give me some time, I'm leaving for work now. I'll be back in a couple of hours. :)

Reactions: Ron Caudillo

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hi Ron,

sorry for the late reply. I tried several things but without success. Anyconv.com is unable to convert PDO files even though it states it would. imcold's PDOtools' OBJ exporter does not work for whatever reason. It treats every file as password-protected even though they are definitely not. If I enter no password it creates an OBJ file which is unusable. I have notified imcold and asked him to take a look at it.

• Sad
Reactions: Ron Caudillo

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think the proprietary nature of Pepakura is the problem. Personally, I hate any program that can make a circle, but to each their own. I have seen some awesome Pepakura models. The only one I ever built was the Dragon with the indented face that looked like it was always steering at you. I've seen pictures of this dragon with the parts page. Wouldn't it just be possible to copy the outlines of the pieces and then construct you model? Why make it a solid model, when you could make panels that glue together, uses less Resin and takes less time? Just a wonderin'. :):)

Last edited:

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
I think the proprietary nature of Pepakura is the problem. Personally, I hate any program that can make a circle, but to each their own. I have seen some awesome Pepakura models. The only one I ever built was the Dragon with the indented face that looked like it was always steering at you. I've seen pictures of this dragon with the parts page. Wouldn't it just be possible to copy the outlines of the pieces and then construct you model? Why make it a solid model, when you could make panels that glue together, uses less Resin and takes less time? Just a wonderin'. :):)
Hi Zathros,
Thanks for your input. I 3D print using PLA which is a very hard material to chemically bond. Printing a single solid 3D model is preferable to me. I have always like the look of the Pepakura dragon and thought it would be nice to try to print one up.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
@Ron Caudillo : I am so dumb! :bulgeeye:

Pepakura IS able to export an *.obj file but the function is a bit tricky to find:

I have completely forgotten that. SORRY!!!

I have attached the OBJ file. I hope it works for you! :)

You might be able to subdivide the surfaces and create a smoother model for printing now. I'd love to see how it turns out! :)

Attachments

• Pepakura Dragon.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: micahrogers

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I could cut the model up in Rhino 3D and assemble it, and export the finished product as an .stl file, but I don't know if that would work for you? :)