Packing paper models for moving.

jlodas

Admins: I'm not sure if this is the best place for this post. If it's not, please let me know how to move it to the appropriate place.

I'm moving.

I have about 30 paper models of various sizes and complexity that I have to pack securely for a 3 1/2 hour drive. Some of these are simple cubee craft that don't need much protection. However, things like the antenna on the top of the twin towers, the spikes on a dragon's back and it's wings, propellers and landing gear on aircraft, and a 5 1/2 foot long sniper rifle with scope... these all need extra care.

I'm considering using a lot of foam packing "peanuts" that are lightweight, will fill most of the small gaps and prevent the models from shifting.

I'm hoping that some of you have dealt with this before and can give some suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This and bubble wrap if you have any. Since I have to order the majority of things for the hobby online because there are no real craft stores left in my area I always have plenty of boxes, peanuts and wrapping material at my disposal. Try to combine the models so that they fill out the boxes well without crushing them. Small parts like antennas can be protected by a little collar made of corrugated card. Just fold it into a tube and pull it over the thin piece(s). Keep everything in place with friction or low-tacky tape or string. Always remember: The plans are more important than the models. If anything goes wrong or is damaged you can always fix it - if you have the plans. :)

paper hollywood

I've packed hundreds (maybe thousands) of items for shipping and I still managed to damaged one of my best paper models moving. Based on my hard earned experience, here's my best advice for packing particularly fragile model, though. First attach the model to some sort of base piece-- stiff boxboard will do. You might use twist-ties or rubber bands or even temporary glue tabs. Then fit that base into a smallish box just big enough to hold the model so that the base will not move. Then, if you are not carefully carrying the box yourself, pack that box inside a larger box with some loose fill material around it. Don't place the model loosely in a box with packing against it, because it can bang around and get damaged. Paper models dent VERY easily.