Oh Geez,another gauge to play with

C

Catt

Oh Geez,another gauge to play with (updated finally)

I just ordered two HOn30 locos by Mocalova Model Works.One is a centercab and the other is a little endcab unit. :D

cencab1.jpg

hon30-1.jpg

The endcab unit is complete ready to paint-n-play.The centercab is a body kit that uses the LifeLike SW for a power chassis.

C

Catt

Paul,this is the guy who makes the shells.Kelly Kruise is the owner and reportedly has an end cab version in the works .
MOCALOVA MODEL WORKS

And this is the shop I ordered them from.Al the owner is an HOn30 modeler too.
B&FHOBBY

jetrock

Sweet! I have a Bachmann six-wheel switcher I have been hoping to "critterize" into an HOn30 industrial loco--I may have to break down and get that kit if I lose my nerve and decide against scratchbuilding it!

HOn30 is just cute...I have some Shinohara HOn30 track which is ideal for crittery industrial trackage, now all it needs are some adorable beasties!

C

Catt

Well they have arrived :D That little endcab critter sure looks tiny all by its self,but it gets big in a hurry when placed with an N scale loco.

Once I have the centercab assembled I will post a pic of the two of them along with my 0n30 gas mechanical.

C

Catt

I've been puttering around building the centercab shell.One thing I did not like was the rounded roof or the arched end windows so I am making new cabends from styrene.The new roof will be flat.

cabends1.jpg

New cabend is on the left.Not shown in the scan is the window framing I replicated.
I am comptemplating making new side panels too with the doors centered instead of offset.

jon-monon

Oh Geez,another gauge to play with

Come to the light, Jonathan, come to the light...

Well they have arrived That little endcab critter sure looks tiny all by its self,but it gets big in a hurry when placed with an N scale loco.

What powers the end cab, and does it represent a particulare prototype?

You knows how I loves a good critter!

jon

C

Catt

Jon,the endcab is powered by the B-mann N scale 3 axle switcher.This is a good running little loco but because there are no flywheels it stops right now!.It's gonna be a real pain in the butt to put MT couplers on,but I have a buddy that owes me a few favors :D

nalmeida

I've also been tinkering with one of these, ordered directly from Kelly and got lot's of help and suport from him. The MT couplers took me almost 4 hours to get into place but the look has well worth the effort. In my defense I'll say it was my first couplers instalation. In this pic the coupler weren't installed, Ill take another picture later on and post it in here.

switch_2.jpg

C

Catt

Looking good so far Nelson.Maybe we should put on a "Critter Show" once our lokies are done. :D

Catt,

I agree that the square cab will look better and the centered doors on the side will be an added improvement. A round edge on the cab roof where it meets the sides and ends would really set if off IMHO. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Greg

C

Catt

Next installment

This is a scan of the cabsides(actually it's a scan of the cab I built and one of the cabside's that come in the kit)

cabsides.jpg

If your curious about the lettering on the cab thats to remind me which window goes in which hole.The cab still needs a lot of work but at least it looks like a cab now. :D

Next time around I should have the loco completed or nearly so.I am going to use the origonal sidepanels to help Americanize a Roco HOe (HOn30) steamer.

C

Catt

Just a few pics of my slowly growing HOn30 fleet.first up is the centercab..The flatcar is a MT "Pepsi" reefer with a scratchbuilt body.

gvhon30e.jpg

Here's a family portrait.There are two more lokies waiting conversion.

gvhon30g.jpg

The little black steamer is a ROCO unit and runs quite well for its age.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
That little ROCO steamer is a real charmer, not that the others aren't, its just because it is steam.