Nov/Dec 06, conjure up a winter scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
It's that time of the year again. We like winter scenes, snow, Christmas, whatever suites you. I say conjure because this contest will have one special rule. You will be allowed to edit your picture with a photo application, commonly referred to as "photo magic". You are not required to do so, you can submit a winter scene "as-is", unretouched. But let's say, like me, you live in Arizona and around here, winter looks like any other time of the year. :rolleyes: Well, you'll be allowed to add snow, smoke, people or even change backgrounds.

One thing I ask, when you post your entry, you need to tell us if the photo has been altered. Why? you ask, well, I am thinking that dependent on the response, we may want to judge the "magic" and the "non-magic" entries separately.

The rules:
  • The photo must have been taken by the one that enters it
  • The photo must be of a winter scene and have something to do with the railroad, an engine, a car, a depot... something.
  • You may use photo editing tools to add or change things including the background. Notice, you may, but this is not a requirement.
  • One entry per person, and specify if the photo has been altered or not.
  • The picture can be from any layout or diorama or the real world.
  • All other general photo contest rules apply.
  • This contest will close on Dec 15th.
  • As usual, no prizes will be awarded except the pride in knowing you entered the contest and that's worth a lot.:D
Good luck

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
I guess I like to go first on these.

Here is a shot of the Michigan Alkali Company.... this building was erected in 1904 by John Baptiste Ford in Wyandotte MI. This picture is from about 1950 and the firm is well past it's heyday.

Cold, grey skies are natural light pouring in from a basement window onto plain drywall.

........................................................................Winter contest1................................................................

alv.sized.jpg

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
Pond Junction in Winter

Just this week end, Pond Junction got about 6" of snow -- even the pond started to freeze over...

This is part of my N scale project. The rest of it is still green; didn't have the heart to cover it in a white blanket. Maybe in December...

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Here's my entry to the contest,

I guess the photo speaks for it self. Noticed the polar bear kid's? They're more attracted to the engine than to follow their mother.
No "magic" used!

Attachments

• HBRYkl.jpg
    HBRYkl.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 567

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
NYSW4054HamlerOHOH1-2-03.jpg.90844.jpg

A northbound Indiana & Ohio freight swings out of Hamler, Ohio after crossing the CSX diamond in town. The I&O has leased the three Susie-Q SD70Ms for a number of years and will continue to for the forseeable future.

No modifications other than the usual clean-up work in Photoshop.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Old Blow, one of the last steam powered rotarys in working order, sets quietly on a siding near Clayton, MD in December, 1966. Dropped off after last night's dusting that tells of things to come in the hills of Cumberland, Maryland, she'll help out on some branches of the Western Maryland RR, freeing up the WM's more modern Jordan Spreaders for the mainline.

Attachments

• AplowA.jpg
    AplowA.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 339

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Only a few employees have made it into the Williams Yard Office at Kings Port during one of the worst Winter storms folks around these parts can remember. A solitary F unit sits outside as snow piles up. This is going to be a tough day if it gets started at all! It'll be nice to get home tonight!

Attachments

• winter1.jpg
    winter1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 312

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
MilesWestern said:
....did they use rotaries west of chicago? (I'm assuming Buffalo, NY would be a good canidate!)

Espee used them on Donner Pass, which is west of Chicago. Buffalo, on the other hand would be east of there...

Status
Not open for further replies.