Not really a GOOD place..

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Found a resource .. that can be expanded upon, but there is not really a good place to put it so here it is.
A Primer on Bézier Curves, full text online at Github with interactive graphic displays. Everything you ever wanted to know about Bézier Curves!!!

https://pomax.github.io/bezierinfo/

upload_2018-8-10_10-52-2.png
... will add more math for 3d artist as I re-visit/find em!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Ohhh, I loved these calculations at school (no sarcasm here :D ;) ). Very interesting find, Gandolf! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
When I first started to teach myself to program CNC machines, it was very hard to program parabolas, as the numbers would give faceted lines on the Parabola. I was converting hand drawn blueprints into a digital format. I stumbled upon a formula in the machines software I could use, that was compatible which would add "fill in Curves", as they called it. You would have to add some variables, but it was easy and was part of the machines software the Production Engineers overlooked. They used AutoCad, and at that time, the program was very rigid, and transferred the programs to the machines through digital cassettes. These were the first operator programmable machines in existence, a very long time ago, and the Engineers felt threatened, even more so when I started banging out parts and programs quicker than they could write a single program. It was their academic training that limited their thinking, not realizing the industry that made these machines was 10 years ahead of the schools. Eventually, they were not allowed near my $500,000 dollar milling center, and I programmed for all 3 shifts.

I think that is why I took to Rhino so well, it was doing what I had been doing for many years already. ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Did sorta the same in my job (years ago and far away) as an civil engineering draftsman.. first plotter for drawing up subdivision and topology, all data hand entered as coordinates.. working in a refrigerated room so the old computer didn't over heat.. 24x36 plots... cassette, to run and then enter data for conversion etc etc.. fun times! I remember DosCad long before AutoCad came out.. and still think it is a better program! Windows 1.? and WinCad version brought production to a standstill ... you could open DosCad, draw up you design send it to cassette or then 51/4 floppy and take a break, before WinCad could get started !

Oh wow.. I just flashed back to first enlistment.. back in the mid 70's .. they started making us Petty Officers learn to use an old 100lb Kapro field Grade Military Computer ie Word Processor, OD Green Steel Case, lid snapped off and contained the keyboard. 4x6 Green screen on the left ( the ones that burned in the menu after two or three days) and two 51/4 floppies on the right. Basic word processor and spreadsheets.. You never saw so many guys sweat bullets trying to use them! Acted like they were holding a live claymoore!

Last edited: