Newbie Building A Proton

Bane

Jun 4, 2012
North Carolina, USA
I have chosen for my newbie build, Leo Cherkashyn's Proton. Its been a long time since I've built a model of any kind, paper or otherwise. I don't know how the members would rate it's diffuculty and even if it should be an easy build there is evey possibility of something...unfortunate...happening during the build. Wheather it goes well or not, however, I expect to learn a lot.

I don't have gobs of time to work on it and I tend to work slowly when I do, so I have only done a very small start on it. Here's what I have so far.

Fuel Tank
Step One

001.jpg

002.jpg

Who knew you'd need a screwdriver to build a paper model.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

Onward to Step Two.

Bane

Jun 4, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Looks very good. Creative use of the screw clamps for making the tubes!

It just seemed easier to use clamps than to pull rubber bands on and off over the end of the contraption and I was worried some sort of slip could damage the paper. Besides, a couple of quick turns of the screws and it locks down tight with no possibility of slippage.

Bane

Jun 4, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Your build thread is nice to, with good description and photos.

Thanks!

I just asked myself, as a newbie, what do I want to see in a build thread?

Answer: How do you build the dang thing.

Hopefuly I'm being clear enough so that some future builder might find this thread helpful.

Future builder will probably look at thread and complain to himself...Why didn't he take picture of this part at this angle, it would be sooo much clearer.

Oh well, I do the best I can.

Z

Zathros

The last picture made me look twice, I thought you accidentally flattened them, an optical illusion!?! This is coming right along! :)

Bane

Jun 4, 2012
North Carolina, USA
As I looked at the build instructions of various models, I discovered they could sometimes, especially to a newbie, be a little difficult to interpret. After I chose to build this model, I looked around for any threads on it. I found some stuff and although I found the pictures helpful, they never seemed to focus on the particular bit I wanted clarity on.

I decided for my first build to take as many pictures as possible. It is a minor fear on my part that many will find so many pictures on so much basic detail on how to build it a bit boring. However, it is my hope, that some future builder, especially a newbie, will find it helpful.

In the meantime.......

Fuel Tanks
Step 6

This is the worst bit I've done so far. These pieces are nowhere as crisp and precise as I would like them. On the upside, having done them, I think I've come up with two or three methods to improve in the future.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Onward to Steps 7,8&9

Z

Zathros

For me, if I don't learn from a build, it is less satisfying. You're doing great!!

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Excellent!

Hi Bane,

Both your build and build thread are coming along superbly.

I'm partuclarly impressed with how smoothly you managed to close the cones at the top of the fuel tanks. Those always give me trouble. I'll also be buying some of those little clamps to try out on my next build of anything with tubes. It's funny, but I'm well aware of those little hose clamps, but it never occurred to me to use them for paper modelling as you've done.

That's what makes these forums so valuable. We all learn from each other.

Looking forward to seeing your next installments.

Steve

Bane

Jun 4, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Ah yes. Cones.

I will admit to spending a considerable amount of time, parked in a chair, feet up, cold drink at my elbow, pondering those little bits of paper.

They had me worried.

But in the end I was able to develop a plan of attack and they turned out fairly well I think.

Thanks for the comments.:wave: