New Trees!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Several comments on the age of the trees, and durability were made, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.
Most of the deciduous trees on the modules use natural weeds for trunk armatures. most of them are at least 12 years old, some 14 years. They have survived transport to and from shows, and while some of the front ones are damaged, those "out of reach" are still as good as new.
There are a handful of pines that were made using asparagus fern, about 30 years ago, and those have shed most of the leaf part of the fern, so that all that remains are the branches. As dead trees, they look great.
My guess is that if the material is strong enough to handle when you pick it, it will probably last.
Pete

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
trees

Rory,

I want some! They'd make the most perfect Aussie gum tree. How tall is the average size of them? I'd get you to send me some seeds, but quarantine laws would see me in the clink if you did.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Woodie,

Mine range from about one to four inches high. They could be taller, though. (Remember, I'm N-scale.) I'm in the process of trying to find out what the plant is. Maybe something like it grows near where you live...

I was considering, though, what it would take to ship these to anyone who might be interested. I might go exploring in the yard tomorrow and see if I can find any more. I think I got the best pickings off the two I found!

-Rory