New to card models

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello,

Please let me be the first one to welcome you to Zealot! You have come to the right place for all things model building as a whole, and to build and hone your skills.

There are many members who have a strong interest in militaria. I am certain that someone will be able to help you with answering any questions that you have about this model. The members here are very helpful.

Could you tell us a bit more about yourself? What else have you built?

When you start a new project, I would like to invite you to post a build thread. Build threads are a great way of show off your work and skills. Not only that, but if you run into an issue with a model you can highlight the area that you are having problems with and we can offer you some suggestions on how to deal with them.

So, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice. Please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here. I look forward to seeing your work.

willymark

I am a retired University Professor - age 80. Decided I needed something to keep me busy during the Covid pandemic lockdown. I built a wooden model of USS Kearsarge and found it gave me a lot of pleasure and kept me alert. I decided to try my hand at a card model and my first was HMS Di Do. I learned a great deal from that project (lots of mistakes). I decided to try my hand at the M4a3 Sherman, hopefully this will turn out better.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
As far as I am concerned, paper/cardstock model building is one of the best hobbies to get into. I have been involved in this hobby for a very long time and I greatly enjoy it!

By all means, please post some photos of what you have already done. We love seeing photos!

I wholeheartedly understand that many of the templates have a learning curve (and yes, some can be steeper than others). Like I have mentioned, we have several members who have a strong interest in militaria (some may have even built the model that you are wanting to try your hand at, that can help you).

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Welcome Aboard
Nice ships! for a first paper build that HMS Di do looks nice. and as far as the pics being too large, I resize all my photos to 1000 pixels on the largest side. This reduces thier file size, and still keeps a fair amount of the detail. Any good image editor can do this, I use MS Paint built into Windoze.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Welcome at zealot that ate nice ships you have build. Looling forward to see your sherman building thread.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
As to help on the Sherman, @snake7 has an excellent build thread of the Halinski (sic) M4A4 Sherman.
and here is the thread link

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
WOW!! These are your first models!! They came out great. Don't let the limitations of the model belie your skill, and learning experience. The GPM Sherman will take a while, and require great patience. Build each part as a model unto itself, never think of the whole as the sum of it's parts, it can be discouraging. You definitely have the skill judging by your excellent start. We're always here to help, when in doubt, ask. There are no dumb questions, only dumb answer! Welcome to Zealot. We are very happy to have gained your esteemed membership . :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to Zealot!

Wow, your Kearsarge looks awesome! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Take care and have fun and enjoy! :)

RF

willymark

Help. I tried to make a copy of one of the pages but the color was way off. Is this something to protect against copying? Any suggestions?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Probably not, usually the scan is off, and/or if your printer has been sitting, it has a clogged head. :)

willymark

Turns out to be my printer. Went to a local office supply and had just the 4 main sheets copied. They were perfect and only .88 each page. One of the things I like about card models is the fact that you can reproduce anything that is gets done in error.