New Tie advanced X1 papercraft model

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
The next couple of weekends I will built the Tie interceptor, so in the evening I can work on the drawing for a new project.
This time I will work on the Tie advanced X1. I found lot's of detailed photo's and some 3D drawings (thank you Rhaven).
A couple of german star wars lover have build a real size Advanced X1 below the link to this project.

The challenges for this built wil be the intergration of the UHU sphere, The rear end from the sphere that I first built looks like a pumkin
so I have to work on that part. I have to figure out how to make a rounded sphere. First I will make some testing parts to see how things fit.

So keep an eye on this thread for more updates.

vader004.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Interesting! :)

Please remember, the first TIEs were grey. "The Empire Strikes Back" introduced the blueish-grey fighters. ;)

Reactions: mijob

ennder

Jul 26, 2008
I have been wanting one of these. the paper ones that are available are not that good or very detailed

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Water form that Sphere. You won't have to worry about panel lines. Consider painting it, you then get to fill blend and sand what needs to be, and you will have a really beauty to behold. Or not. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Paper-Mache around a small sphere, using thin paper would work well, you have to print all the details on though. You might be able to water form a thin detail printed sheet over the ball if you use Pigment Ink (it doesn't run with water), and make it soggy enough to form, (too soggy, then it might run). It will take a few tries, but would still be hollow and allow for an interior. ;)

Last edited:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
I did some test with waterforming, that Zathros and Dan-B-King introduced me to, for my tie-fighter and tie-advanced build and it went well even with printed surfaces. I am able to produce this nice double curved surfaces that wil form the ball and their joints are located at panel lines.
20161202223301-301170.jpg

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Thanks all,
@bigptr thats a nice way to glue, so you used seperate petrals to glue to each other?

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
So here is an update. I tested the fitting of the interior.
And I can insert and use it in the Tie Advance new sphere.
Advanced_10.JPG
In the next picture you see the interior bottom support.
Advanced_11.JPG
On this support I can fit some nice details........
Advanced_12.JPG
I didn't come across papercraft models with this equipt so I need to design this.
O I wish that I can start to draw and glue this model!

Attachments

• Advanced_10.JPG
    Advanced_10.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 16

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Dan B the King of water forming!! It is a very useful technique with the right ink and model. Takes your work to another plane. If you paint your models, with water forming and some filler, you can literally make anything you want out of paper ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
On this support I can fit some nice details........
View attachment 191323
I didn't come across papercraft models with this equipt so I need to design this.
O I wish that I can start to draw and glue this model!

Hi mojib, I do not understand what details do you mean. Details on the drawing are hidden in the hull. This hatch looks identical on Tie-fighter. Tie-Advanced and Tie-interceptor from outside. Do you want to do some cut out model to see inside? Or removed hatch?

Funny note - pilot is sitting on radioactive fuel tank, Empire enginers did not value pilot lives much. :) :):bulgeeye: