new guy here

on30er

Hello, I've just joined the forum. I'm addicted to On30 and recently aquired a 10' x 10' room to build my railroad in. I know that it's limited space for On30 but I think I can make it work. I like modeling western narrow gauge, so far I have six engines in my stable the latest being the newly released Bachmann DCC and sound equipt shay, also two Broadway ltd C-16's a Bachmann Mogul (C&S) a Bachmann porter and the Bachmann rail truck, I'm in the beginning stages of constructing the benchwork with no specific track plan in mind.:wave:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Welcome to the gauge!, on30er. The On30 forum will give you a considerable amount of information, and what isn't covered here, may well be covered elsewhere on the board. Many of the posts by hminky, will link you to tutorials on his home site. Recommended reading for On30 related information.
Lots of good information throughout the gauge, and a large community of good people. Hope you find this place a great place to "live", and visit.
Pete

on30er

Thankyou sumpter250 for the very warm welcome. I hope to learn some new things and possibly contribute some of my modeling knowlage as well.

Vince

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Welcome to The Gauge! You're going to find there's lots of friendly, helpful folks in here.

Some people would argue I'm not one of them... friendly, that is... :D

... a 10' x 10' room to build my railroad in. I know that it's limited space for On30 but I think I can make it work.

That's a decent space for On30, so long as you're not trying to model the entire state of Nevada... ;)

I'm in the beginning stages of constructing the benchwork with no specific track plan in mind.:wave:

... this is why some folks think I'm not friendly... ;)

Do you really think it's smart to start benchwork before you have a trackplan? I don't know what your level of expertise is, trackplanning-wise, but I find it's better to come up with a plan and build the benchwork to suit it, than to plan the trackwork to fit a bench. If you were doing a 4x8, I'd say go for it... there's only so much you can do there, but for a 10x10, there's so many options for using that space, that building the benchwork first is really going to limit you.

on30er

I'm not into opperation, I prefere doing scenery, so I will most likely run a dog bone around three walls so that my grand kids can see and hear the trains rum. and tap in for a mine on one wall lumber mill on another and a town on the other. lots of bridges and trestles and tons of fir trees.

Vince

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I'm not into operation, I prefer doing scenery, so I will most likely run a dog bone around three walls so that my grand kids can see and hear the trains run.

Starting with a simple track plan is a venture not without merit. You can try out all the basic skills of layout building, while not being overwhelmed by unobtainable complexity, and you can enjoy the sights, and sounds of trains running through the mountains and trees. Post some progress photos, as you can, and make all the "mistakes",that's how you find out why they are "mistakes". Above all, have fun!
Pete

on30er

Thanks Pete,
Sometimes the most pleasurable treks begin without a destination in mind. I'll definetly post some photos when construction begins.

Vince

Jim Krause

Hello and Welcome. Another On30 person here. I'm currently doing a module that will fit in with an informal, group modular layout in a local community. I have the foam landscaping on the dining room table and the base is under construction. In a couple of months, I'll be going back to the HO scale club layout if the weather warms up enough.

on30er

Hey Jim, I mentioned to my wife that I would like to build my layout in the dining room, words can't describe the look she gave me. I'll never ask her that again.

Vince
long live On30

Jim Krause

Vince: Unfortunately, I have only myself to deal with when deciding to use the dining room table. It does make a mess but I try to keep the foam dust to a minimum and do my eating elsewhere. Hopefully, I'm to the point where the dining room will soon revert to it's original purpose.:mrgreen: