Needs to be added to a plan...

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Found these pix , looking for something else, and thought that they would be a great idea for some one to add to a proper layout that includes WW2 or shortly after.... would have to kitbash the Jeep to be sure!

Views were from Borneo in WW2....
369692_573e68e533e6f3f26df3d01f7e0088af.jpg
369694_d4604a64dd5acbe8f8396876bcb17d83.jpg
369695_7fa78c0ae6c940c194321cfa2b78e3d8.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You wouldn't believe how many pick ups around here have the modification to ride the rails. The wheels drop down hydraulically, and the wheels are spaced to ride centered on the tracks. This jeep is a must!! ;)

Gandolf50

Staff member
Yey same here as the as the rail lines run from El Paso north and west they have to run them with the trucks for upkeep and crew changes... neat how the trucks are converted... That jeep just looks like it has modified hubs and that's it...and looks like some added weight on the front also to protect the radiator...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You ever see the people who make sail power rail cars? They are awesome!! The pictures below some some rigs. This is been a past time for a long time. It's done a lot out in the Midwest, where there are incredibly long tracks, used 4 or 5 times a year hauling vast amounts of coat. Otherwise, they are empty. People go from town to town on them. Some pics below. I used to have a lot more modern ones. People build go carts to ride the rails, and they can be removed quite quickly if a train is coming. Most use modern Skate wheels to keep the cars on the track. A soft ride, and less friction. With the right wind, you could go faster than you may want!!

They were also used in the older days, and people had horrific crashes wen these things would reach 50 or 60 miles per hours, with the real wheels bearings, they would come apart, and the people would either die or die later as there was no system of rescue, many more made it though when the pilots kept the speed down.. A crazy part of American history not of told. Wind Wagons is what they were called, and they go way back in time, in many countries.

Wind Wagons:
wind_wagon.jpg

Rail Vehicles
abandoned-railroad-vehicles-1.jpg sail+rail+carts.jpg sail-bogey.jpg sailbogie2.jpg

Attachments

• sailtr1a.jpg
    sailtr1a.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0

Gandolf50

Staff member
Speaking of which...that whole crew tossed me out of my hanger when they filmed "crystal skull" and I didn't even get to watch!! I say " My Hanger" it was rented from the city...but still...the "City" cut the deal and cut us out of it!! had to go and find a temp warehouse till they finished!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
They did this in the Pioneer days to try and get to Californi-eh fast!, and many did, but many crashed at high speeds, killing many on board. It was a crap shot. :)