N to HOn3

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Actually...

If you use N-scale mechanisms and track, you will have HOn30 (HOn2.5, HOn2 1/2, or whatever you want to call it....)

Some might even argue HOn2...

N-gauge track is 9mm...

HOn3-gauge track is 10mm...

So, if a rivit counter were to attack, you'd want to have a set of rubber calipers handy to fool him with... :D :D :D

If you want HOn3, use the N-gauge track and mechanisms. It'll be our little secret... :thumb: :rolleyes:

The general rule of thumb is the same as using HO gauge track and mechanisms for On30.

For the track, bury the ties in ballast, muck, weeds and grass to hide them. Or remove every other one to give the track a narrow gauge look.

For the mechanisms. You can buy kits to bash the N-scale equipment into HOn3. Or do a little scratch-building and kit-bashing.

This usually means putting on a larger cab and details...

Good luck and have fun...

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
I don't know...

JBBVry said:
Can the wheels be moved outbord enough to make it HOn3 a scale 6 inches? I know this can be done on some of the engines but can it be done on all?

I guess that the only way to find out is through trial and error... It's only 1mm, so it should be doable for most equipment. Although, you might have to adjust the sideframes on some stuff so the wheels don't rub...

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
For some engines, this can be done--I have successfully scooted out Bachmann 0-4-0 engines' drivers the necessary .5mm in each direction. However, anything with intricate valve gear will probably have enormous trouble getting scooted out in that fashion!

JBBVry

May 14, 2004
Thomasville NC
groups.yahoo.com
that is what i was thinking. yes i was woundering about this for the 2-6-6-2 i have comming in the mail from Ebay. guess this means i am now in 3 scales. HO HOn3 and now HOn30 this is getting interesting.