n scale 4X8 layout idea

roger439

Hi all,
I have been out of the hobby for a while but now have the room to build a 4X8 n scale layout.I am looking for a layout suitable for a 3 train system.Any ideas would b greatly appreciated.

ctrain05

In the recent MR magazine they did a layout called "the Virginian" 4x8 in HO.. I thought it would be cool to convert that to N scale.. you could have longer coal trains and pusher operations..

Z

Zathros

N scale is the only size I could fit but my house is so small, hat would be pushing it. I like some of those micro, corner set ups people do. Some have posted pictures in this forum showing them. Check out this thread, and the links to YouTube. Carlos Felipe's work is incredible.

http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170729&highlight=carlos+felipe

attachment.php

chooch.42

Hi, Roger. Don't really know what you're after in a "3 train system", but Dave Vollmer's "Juniata Division" layout has some ideas, and (before the yard add-on, even smaller than 4x8. It's featured in "Great Model Railroads -2014" or, check his site here: http://thevollmerfamily.com/Pennsy/trackplan/ ...there are some YouTube vids out by Dave, also. Nice layout, with operations, main & switching, even working PRR position light signals, beautiful scenery...give it a look. Bob C.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I had a 4' x 4' "N" scale layout over the winter, part of the Christmas decorations, but man, I forgot how you really have to secure those tracks, and how deep you heart can sink when a train breaks something from derailing. Luckily they glue back together. :)

chooch.42

WOW, didn't see how old this thread was when I posted...hope Roger has found/formulated a plan to fit his wants (by now !). Z, I empathize...derailments and destruction in so small a scale (never mind Z-scale) can be disheartening. I admire the vision (68 year old eyes !) and manipulative skills of those who can work with N-scale, let alone produce such detailed, realistic dioramas, modules & layouts. 'Course your card/paper modeling friends are no less skilled in building ! I'm sure some of them even may produce enviable mobile, powered and controllable miniatures, too - but it's tough to fold a motor ? Hope you perused and passed on that new "Inkscape" release - I didn't know an appropriate, accesable place to put it. All the Best ! Bob C.