My Trolley Project

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Another great piece of work, Bob!
:thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:
And that little innovation with the roof walk...hope you don't mind if I steal...er...I mean BORROW that one for a project I've been contemplating! :D
Thanks for the inspiration! :thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bob: that little fixture on the pole base (like a tube of caulk) is the pneumatic pole retriever. Because of the high speeds that PE operated at, a dewirement could cause major damage. A sudden upward movement would cause the pole to be slammed down suddenly on the roof. They also had a regular rope and retriever on the pole.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Drew, you can't use it re. Patent #123456789 :thumb:

Appreciate the insight, David. I do have some really fine wire that I'm going to use for that detail.

While the poles are about 2 feet longer than the longest I've seen, I'm gonna stick with 'em as is for now. I'm still just ducky that I have two sets of workin' poles, I'll be more mindful of the next ones and where they go. I've recently aquired an MDC/Roundhouse boxcab that's just screaming to have a pan/pole combo placed on the roof deck. That'll leave one more pole for a steeplecab scratchbuild I've had waiting in the wings for awhile. That little Tyco Birney will just have to live with that plastic fishin' pole stickin' outta its head fer now :D ...

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Congratulations on such a fine job customizing the Bachman trolley. I would go one step further. Remove the window material with the silheutte passengers. It makes the model look too 'toy-like'. You might try adding some shades pulled down aways to hide the interior mechanism and this would make the model so much more presentable.

Yours Trolley,
-Ed

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
shaygetz said:
Drew, you can't use it re. Patent #123456789 :thumb:

Sooo...I guess this means that if I DO infringe on your patent, I'll hafta pay you royalties every time I run that piece on my layout...? ;)sign1 :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Drew1125 said:
Sooo...I guess this means that if I DO infringe on your patent, I'll hafta pay you royalties every time I run that piece on my layout...? ;)sign1 :D

Every time you run on the layout? Golly, I hope the UP guys don't latch onto that one... :eek:ops:

I appreciate your thoughts on it, Ed. I thought about doing just that, using my ususal method of "frosting" the windows with a coat of clear flat paint. This project takes me back to my first modeling desires years ago, when I had the Tyco Birney 4-wheeler. I hated those printed passengers as an 8-year-old, they weren't real lookin'. Now, they're a quaint reminder of my roots, I couldn't pull 'em out if you paid me :thumb: :D

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
ed acosta said:
Congratulations on such a fine job customizing the Bachman trolley. I would go one step further. Remove the window material with the silheutte passengers. It makes the model look too 'toy-like'. You might try adding some shades pulled down aways to hide the interior mechanism and this would make the model so much more presentable.

Yours Trolley,
-Ed

I think that is a splended idea Ed.
Bob do you think you can find time to go the extra step?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Hey there interurban ans Shaygetz...I'm about to convert one of these (mine will be unpowered) BACbrills...any suggestions before I start? Does anyone have a pair of trolley poles they'd be willing to sell me? Thanks if you can!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
MilesWestern said:
...any suggestions before I start? Does anyone have a pair of trolley poles they'd be willing to sell me? Thanks if you can!

Suggestions? Dive in...the worst that can happen is that you'll destroy a perfectly good trolleysign1

Miles, I got my poles from a veiled listing on Ebay for a parts lot that simply said "trolley parts, etc.". I was looking for poles at the time when it came up. For $30, I took the chance with less than a minute to go and wound up with two pairs of trolley poles and 3 pairs of pantograghs.

I do have a set of poles left over, they are the same as the ones I used on this project which would make them a bit big as Chris noted earlier. If you are interested, I prefer good old fashioned bartering over selling:thumb: