My Lehigh Valley Railroad 4-4-0c, a "Scratch "N" Bash" project.

toptrain1

DSCF0028.JPG * This is my last completed Scratch N Bash Project. The locomotive body is scratch built and made to fit a AHM drive made by Pocher which was kitbashed to change its appearance. The Pocher tender is used and kit bashed to look appropriately.

* This camelback was never available as a ready to run model. Being modeled as a LVRR class E-27 it is one of 6 locomotives of the class. All these Victorian era locomotives were special, but for the Lehigh Valley's the E-27 class, was extra special. Four of the 6 were single digit locomotives, numbers 2,3,4,and 5. The remaining two numbers are 424 and 309. All six were built by the Lehigh valley at their South Easton Shops. With LV engines being honored with names of well known company executives, employees, and destinations, this class had some of the best names. Locomotive #2, ASA PACKER, #3 Niagara , #4 Robert H. SAYER, #5 David Laury, # 424 James Donnelly, and #309 Charles B. Cummings. The choice to name my locomotive was #5, The Honorable David Laury. A man with quite a long list of accomplishments, a LV employee, and a friend of Asa Packer.
frank.

Here is a link to a step by step build of this locomotive. edit 10-22-2016 new link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/albums/72157673973804542

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Very nice! a well done project to build an unusual locomotive; thanks for sharing. I recognize the chassis, otherwise I'd have thought it was brass.

Bill Nelson

Thanks for sharing Frank. with that nice rebuild, the pixxa cutter flanges don't show much Having used code 70 and code 55 tail extensively in the past I have had to grind down quite a few of those flanges, a scary process. My current rebuild is using code 100 on the section of track my RR shares with the Southern Railway; and on all new hidden track. On my new mainline and most sidings, I am using code 83. considerable code 55 and 70 on the remaining old sections of my RR. Looks great, but after a 40 year love of tiny rail for looks; it is not worth the reduced electrical contact. Good looks is wonderful, but it is trumped by good operation every time. I'm a slow learner, not a non learner.

Bill Nelson

toptrain1

* Well Bill, at 68 I really only care about the basics and not spending to much of the little money I have on expensive track. The majority of my track in old Atlas fiber tie with code 100 brass stapled to it. It has lasted almost 50 years and will probably last another 50. Things like that I like. As to the old flanges . They were made for two thing. Code 100 rail, and trains that don't derail. That was what I got. A old guy with mostly old trains. I have a few more modern things like 4 Broadway limited Pennsy locomotives. M1a, M1b, J1a, and a T1. Even Bachmann USRA 2-10-2 and a Life Like heritage Y3 2-8-8-2 in PRR.
* Right now I am starting on getting information on a CRRofNJ 4-4-0 camelback. I am looking too model one of the 1882 Baldwin rear cab 4-4-0's that the CNJ retired and dissembled at there Ashley shops but listed as a rebuild to save on taxes. The only thing left from the old 4-4-0 was most of the frame, the lead truck, and the bell. The engine went in a rear cab wagon top 4-4-0 and came out a Wootten fire boxed 4-4-0 camelback. Way more a new engine that a rebuild. When the book " The Jersey Central Story was written, a photo of one of these locomotives was listed as being a Baldwin built camelback, and a Baldwin as built photo. The confused writer couldn't understand why this locomotive was missing its Baldwin number board and the only reference to a anything was on the round front number board, the words Central Railroad of New Jersey, Ashley Pa. I have copied the text and made a drawing for my build. I will post the text with this message.
frank
This is the text, and yes it wasn't a Baldwin Photo. Just the writer hurrying to get the book published.

CNJ 4-4-0c 2-6-0c 1 JCS P-20 - Copy.jpg

Last edited: