My layout progress

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Welcome to the forum Denyon :)
New to the forum but it seems like you have been in business for a long time. That harbor sure looks just great :)
Please show us some more pics from your layout and please tell us more about it. From the picture it seems like your railroad goes around the walls, is that right?

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Sherwood Park,Alberta, Canada
Hi Berraf, You are correct..my layout goes around 3 walls and the 4th side is open.
I also have a pennisula down the centre of the layout with a loop at one end.
I have been collecting items and building my layout for the past 3 years and to me, it is now begining to take shape very nicely.
I am still having trouble making my photos to a more visable size as I don't seem to be able to edit the photos to 29kb or less. My photo program is ACDSee.

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Nazgul said:
Dennis.....the file size of the photo is probably too big. It has to be 65Kbs or less.
check this out:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=14122
hope that helps....loved the pic btw:thumb: and welcome to The Gauge!:thumb:

I still can't find any way to reduce the image file size to 65 Kbs or less.
I have reduced the pic to 640 x 480.

I'll keep trying... but if anyone can help?????

Attachments

• Dockside Walls project.6.JPG
    Dockside Walls project.6.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,050

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Hi Denyons:wave:, and welcome to The Gauge.
Are your pictures saved as bmp? If they are,save them as jpeg. That's the first mistake I made when trying to upload pictures.
Your pictures look great, can't wait to see more.

Loren

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
grewsome said:
Hi Denyons:wave:, and welcome to The Gauge.
Are your pictures saved as bmp? If they are,save them as jpeg. That's the first mistake I made when trying to upload pictures.
Your pictures look great, can't wait to see more.

Loren

My photos are in jpeg format????
It a puzzel to me.

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Could you please tell us what programs you have available for digital photo?
Please give me/us your version number of ACDSee. If you do so I promise to give you a "How to" in the noble art of making a photo less in kb :)

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Denyons, welcome to the Gauge!

I don't know what graphics program you are using to resize your pictures. Resizing to 640x480 pixels is ok, but if a pic contains many details the file size still is too big.

Now when you start saving a pic, you should be able to change some settings concerning the picture quality. Try to find that menu on your program, and then lower the PICTURE SAVING QUALITY. Result: The file size shrinks, although in most cases you can't even see a noticeable reduction of the picture quality! (This shows only in the extremely fine details.)

For all picture conversions I am doing, I use the "Irfan Viewer", an excellent graphics program which can be downloaded here. It is absolutely free and handles about every possible form of graphics (and even videos and movies). When you want to save a JPG picture, on the up-popping menu there is an option "Show options dialog" which you activate by a mouseclick. Another window pops up and there is a slider to adjust the "Save quality". I found that a setting of 80% doesn't change the picture file size, but going down to 50% already reduces it already quite a bit, practically without quality loss. Two or three times I even used a setting of 20% to post a picture here, and it showed up ok on the monitor. (BTW: If you you go higher than 80%, the file size even gets bigger - although the quality doesn't seem better than before, either! :D)

Basically - when you have a picture with many small details, even a JPG picture file turns out quite big. Only when the pic shows big areas in the same color, the compression will be dramatic.

Hope this helps a bit - and good luck for resizing your pics. I hope you'll show us more of your layout which so far looks very interesting!

Ron

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
RailRon said:
Denyons, welcome to the Gauge!

I don't know what graphics program you are using to resize your pictures. Resizing to 640x480 pixels is ok, but if a pic contains many details the file size still is too big
Ron

Thanks Guys, for the tips on reducing the image size.
Hopefully I have it beat this time.

My layout is basicly double track all the way around and will be digitrax powered, although I will be making one of the main lines capable of switching to analog, so that I will be able to run many of my locos which cannot be converted.

Attachments

• Fast flowing river.jpg
    Fast flowing river.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 771
  • Grain Elevators.jpg
    Grain Elevators.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 770

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I can see we're going to need more pictures...because so far, the layout looks really interesting...harbor scene and grainary? Start posting 'em.:thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
can see we're going to need more pictures...because so far, the layout looks really interesting...harbor scene and grainary? Start posting 'em.
thumbsup.gif
My thoughts exactly!....Keep em coming!

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Denyons said:
Still lots to be completed but it's taking shape.
You say it´s a lot to be completed and that´s right but there´s a lot that have been done.
I don´t know if it´s right to call your progress a mockup state but to me it seems that you have a very good strategy for how to build a railroad layout with feeling :thumb:
I really like the way you do things :wave:

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
berraf said:
You say it´s a lot to be completed and that´s right but there´s a lot that have been done.
I don´t know if it´s right to call your progress a mockup state but to me it seems that you have a very good strategy for how to build a railroad layout with feeling :thumb:
I really like the way you do things :wave:

Thanks for the comments Berraf.
I am trying to make my layout so that I can have a few friends over to operate on it with me. My space inside the layout is limited but possibly OK for 3 persons to run trains.
I am still unsure whether to purchase the Digitrax Zephir or the more expesive Chief.

Attachments

• Roundhouse & Turntable.JPG
    Roundhouse & Turntable.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 320

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!!!!
that is flatout AWESOME!
How about posting the trackplan? We would love to see it.
Keep up the great work