My Imcold's X-wing build

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Thank you.

Well I think it is nostalgic "love" of SW. Disney take on SW takes its toll on my "love" of SW and old movies do not enjoy me anymore as they used to as a kid and teenager (witch is natural I think) . Old movies have certain favourite scenes I watch with love, but I have no desire to watch whole movies anymore. Last time I try I fell asleep :).

BUT I realy love old George Lucas SW word (not Disney), mainly its designs - vehicle, characters, environments. That is why I want to do it justice by my paper models.

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
I saw first season of Mandalorian, but I do not like it much either. Fun service is nice and SW atmosphere is quite there, but someting is still missing for me. Maybe the length of episodes - it was ower before it starts properly. And there was big difference in quality of episodes. Same were quite good but some were like from from 80´s - stupid subplots and acting and behaving of the characters.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I simply love Mando. The short length of the episodes is reminiscent of the old serials and the episodes do not necessarily follow an overall scheme. That brings them closer to the telly shows from the 70s/80s were you could watch and enjoy one random episode without having to watch a zillion episodes that came before to understand what's going on ("A-Team" comes to mind). Surely there is an overall plot but it is handled differently than what we were used to see on shows like "Game of Thrones" or "Babylon 5". It is not "Macbeth" or the best TV show ever made (which is "Star Trek: TNG" - PERIOD! ;) ) but the mix of adventure, excitement and fun is truly appealing and the best thing Disney has given to us. Fun fact: Much to my surprise one of my friends who is totally NOT into scifi enjoys Mando. The first and only scifi show he had watched before was the classic BSG; he has never seen the SW movies but I still haven't given up pushing him to watch "Empire". ;)

It's so bad that the sequel trilogy failed to deliver on so many levels. Ep 7 did well with introducing new characters. Ep 8 however went totally overboard and contradicted so many plot lines and developments which were (relatively carefully) set up in Ep 7 that it left the watcher puzzled and offended. Ep 9 did very well again and showed what could have been if they simply went with the idea of Palpatine coming back. Simple, basic plot, layed out carefully in three acts / movies, and you would have had a nice entertaining sequel trilogy (which even would have made sense to be seen as a coherent trilogy). A pity because the actors were fantastic, the technology was there, BB-8 was lovely, the visuals were beautiful, but the lack of cohesion and common thread turned it into a mess. Favreau and Filoni on the other hand are great showrunners and know how to play the SW violin strings. They just have to be careful not to bring too much from "Clone Wars" and "Rebels" into the show. Sadly it is true, "Star Wars" has been damaged and things will never be the same. I'm so glad that I was born at a time when the original trilogy was the one and only space opera. Without it we wouldn't have gotten "BSG" and "Buck", "The Black Hole", "Indiana Jones" and all the other great scifi movies we all cherish and love. The guys involved in the making have become legend as well and I could fill pages with praise for them.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This is better than what was used in the actual movies!! :)
:King:

Just imagine, these crappy, crooked mpc X-Wing models we all built when we were little are in fact authentic replicas of filming miniatures! They are even studio-scale! Tons of them were used in "The Empire Strikes Back" (you can recognize them when you look at the belly of the ships). Unbelievable, isn't it? :animated:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
MPC X-Wing models are 1:43 scale, so unfortunately :) they are not studio scale. They were not that bad, lots of details is correct, but owerall shape is little off. But I have seen quite heavy modificated builds, that were realy close to originals.

As funy as it can sound ILM model makers makes their life easier and used MPC models in "The Empire Strikes Back" to crowd the backgrounds. For closer looks they usualy used ILM studio scale (1:24) models of X-wings.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I simply love Mando. The short length of the episodes is reminiscent of the old serials and the episodes do not necessarily follow an overall scheme. That brings them closer to the telly shows from the 70s/80s were you could watch and enjoy one random episode without having to watch a zillion episodes that came before to understand what's going on ("A-Team" comes to mind). Surely there is an overall plot but it is handled differently than what we were used to see on shows like "Game of Thrones" or "Babylon 5". It is not "Macbeth" or the best TV show ever made (which is "Star Trek: TNG" - PERIOD! ;) ) but the mix of adventure, excitement and fun is truly appealing and the best thing Disney has given to us. Fun fact: Much to my surprise one of my friends who is totally NOT into scifi enjoys Mando. The first and only scifi show he had watched before was the classic BSG; he has never seen the SW movies but I still haven't given up pushing him to watch "Empire". ;)

It's so bad that the sequel trilogy failed to deliver on so many levels. Ep 7 did well with introducing new characters. Ep 8 however went totally overboard and contradicted so many plot lines and developments which were (relatively carefully) set up in Ep 7 that it left the watcher puzzled and offended. Ep 9 did very well again and showed what could have been if they simply went with the idea of Palpatine coming back. Simple, basic plot, layed out carefully in three acts / movies, and you would have had a nice entertaining sequel trilogy (which even would have made sense to be seen as a coherent trilogy). A pity because the actors were fantastic, the technology was there, BB-8 was lovely, the visuals were beautiful, but the lack of cohesion and common thread turned it into a mess. Favreau and Filoni on the other hand are great showrunners and know how to play the SW violin strings. They just have to be careful not to bring too much from "Clone Wars" and "Rebels" into the show. Sadly it is true, "Star Wars" has been damaged and things will never be the same. I'm so glad that I was born at a time when the original trilogy was the one and only space opera. Without it we wouldn't have gotten "BSG" and "Buck", "The Black Hole", "Indiana Jones" and all the other great scifi movies we all cherish and love. The guys involved in the making have become legend as well and I could fill pages with praise for them.
A quote I don't often use...

"So say we all"
:toast:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
MPC X-Wing models are 1:43 scale, so unfortunately :) they are not studio scale.

I know what you mean. However, there is no rule for a model used in a motion picture to be 1:24 scale to be considered "studio-scale". There are s lot of models which deviate from that scale, for example the capital ships in SW and Galactica and the exploding truck in Terminator (that one was 1:16). So in general studio-scale means the model is the same scale of the actual model used in said production. And since the mpcs were used out of the box makes them studio-scale. The same goes for the mpc TIEs and the Revellogram TOS Cylon Raider which was used in a hangar bay diorama shot in the final episode. Of course the Moebius TOS Cylon Raider is also studio-scale because it matches the size of the hero models. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: micahrogers