Modern Era Kits?

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
Can anyone provide me with names, links to companies that sell modern era looking houses, buildings industries, whatever? I know, scratch building is probably the best way to go, but that skill isn't quite up to par yet.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Pikestuff has a line of industrial buildings, though they are rather small to my eye. Micro-Engineering used to as well, though I don't know if they are still in production.

Palmisano

Apr 2, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Modern Era Kits

Yeah, I've had trouble finding modern stuff as well. Not just building but cars and trucks as well. Not everyone wants to model the fifties!!! But buildings stick around for a long time. Many buildings right outside my window were built long before the fifties. You might have to scratchbuild some details or ad ons to make them up to date.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Palmisano said:
Yeah, I've had trouble finding modern stuff as well. Not just building but cars and trucks as well. Not everyone wants to model the fifties!!! But buildings stick around for a long time. Many buildings right outside my window were built long before the fifties. You might have to scratchbuild some details or ad ons to make them up to date.

Easy on us older folks- We love the fiftys! sign1 I have trouble with finding the older stuff sometimes.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
Thanks for the company names, will check them out. Also, was looking at Rix and saw an N scale decoupling tool. Has anyone used one and how well does it work? We are going to build and Inglenook Sidings Game Module and we need a way to uncouple cars easily.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Palmisano said:

Just model modern Appalachia. When I was on the Pokey last winter the only vehicle less than thirty years old was my Honda! :rolleyes:

~BS

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
railohio said:
Just model modern Appalachia. When I was on the Pokey last winter the only vehicle less than thirty years old was my Honda!
Yeah, nothing but old stuff here. :rolleyes:

sns-aerial_600.jpg

http://www.sns.gov/aboutsns/index.shtml

Dirtyd79

Aug 17, 2007
Pittsburgh,PA
I know this thread is a little old but you may want to check out Summit USA's N scale kits. They're a relatively new company and so far they have an n scale Taco Bell and Domino's pizza with more stuff on the way for both n scale and HO. They pretty much only make modern buildings. While I myself model HO I figure hey us modern modellers gotta stick together.
Modern structure model kits and cutting service

Can anyone provide me with names, links to companies that sell modern era looking houses, buildings industries, whatever? I know, scratch building is probably the best way to go, but that skill isn't quite up to par yet.

Japanese N gauge models by Kato and Tomix would fit your requirements quite well. These usually have to be ordered from Japan.

Plaza Japan:

eBay Store - Plaza Japan: Structure: Wooden built School - Greenmax No.48-5 1 150 scale

Some Kato structures are available through Kato USA

Kato USA

Kato USA

Tomix offers a Seven-Eleven store and Kato offers a Denny's Restaurant and a single story strip mall.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I like PikeStuff, and I've used DPM for the "revitalized downtown" look on my layout. Actually - and please - this is just my opinion, I like the older building look more than the absolutely new building look because the older buildings are usually more detailed and interesting than the thrown-together in a month buildings going up everywhere. Everything around me "looks" pretty, but it's just spray-on concrete covering over foam board, with fake roof lines and fake stone work. But I'm off my soapbox.......

I like mixing old buildings with new to make a more atypical look. Take a ride around your area and really look at the design features and style of buildings...that's where I get my ideas. We've got 100 yr old buildings that have been remodeled/repainted into trendy cafe's and shops. Old brick factories and schools that are freshly painted and remodeled into expensive condo's and apartments. And new buildings purposely made to look 100 yrs old to match the style of the old buildings around them.

I also tried this...I put some Polan kits at the front of my layout since they seem a few millimeters larger in N-scale than the DPM, PikeStuff, Atlas, and Model Power kits located at the middle and rear of my layout. That way, I can give a slight "depth of field" perception as the buildings seem to get smaller as you look across the narrow layout board.

So after much rambling, what am I trying to say? Build what you see around you, mix kits or kitbash if need be. There's some newer looking buildings out there - but unless you're building something very current where everyone recognizes the building style as a part of the business brand identification - like a Denny's or fast food restaurant for example - you can build an older looking building, and paint it in current colors and it would still look appropriate for today's neighborhoods and cities.