I took Rogerio's advice and had a breather from the dragon itself. I was frustrated and annoyed at myself, and needed to 'walk away' for a while. But, as things turned out, I did not have much choice anyway. Life has taken all my attention and time away from modelling at the moment.
So, the little time I have had, I put into another part of the model: Finishing the base.
I covered the edges and sides of the base plate with masking tape and marked out where the edges of the contouring was going to be. I then cut around the line and removed the tape on the inside of the line. I then roughly sanded the exposed grain finish to give a good 'key' for the next stage.
I wanted a raised relief up to the rock, so I first cut a piece of polystyrene sheet to the shape of the base and glued this and other broken off pieces of polystyrene to the base board. I then melted the edges to smooth them out by careful use of a heat-gun.
I then spread a layer of wall filler over this. This is the first coat (still wet).
Followed by the second .... (The reason for the hole in the lower right corner, will become evident later....
Once all this had dried for a few days, I sprayed it all matt black.
Once this had dried, I then dry-brushed water colour paint to highlight the contours. I used dark brown first, followed by burnt sienna and finally a medium grey. I used the flash for the photo to enhance the colours. In reality they are more subtle. I will try to get a more natural photo later.
The green hue that you see, I will explain in a minute...
The rock itself seems to be depicted as a source of water, as water marks are shown clearly on the model.
So, I modelled a water effect! I wanted the show the water source as almost dried up, and just a trickle of water remains. (The landscape in my dragon model world, is barren and scorched.)
I used the acrylic floor polish mentioned earlier in the thread and trickled many layers of it down the centre of the water marks on the model. I think I must of used about 30 layers, all trickled from the top of the rock at the source!!!
This all ran onto the preformed (almost) dried up stream bed. As long as each coat dries first, you can actually create small, clear pools of the stuff. I dry brushed a very light coat of green paint onto the stream bed and the rock first, before the 'trickle attack', to represent algae....
This is after about 12 trickles!
Once I was happy with the water effect, I used silicone to attach all the stones I had collected earlier. Once this was done the bottom base plate was attached to the assembly to finish it off.
So, after a disasterless build of this section, I can now present the completed base. (Oh, and now you can see what the hole was for.. :mrgreen
Now that the base is finished, I am itching to see the dragon on it!!!!!
So, I had better 'get my finger out', as my father would say, and get it finished!!
See you when I can!