Memphis Belle

tjbmurph

Does anyone know if there is a model of the Memphis Belle (Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress) floating around?

N

niebla de fuego

There are several Fortresses available, but not depicting the Belle. And most of the models I've seen are representations of "G" models, not "F".
One option would be to take the Maly Modelarz kit, which is an "F", and re-paint it with the Memphis Belle livery.

Z

Zathros

I thought ECardmodels had one, but I went down the list and did not see one. I thought, could have sworn, Fiddler's Green had one, but again, I went through their list and didn't see anything.:confused:

Vince

I have a B-17 download from Fiddlers Green, it is a type G. My file is listed as Boeing B-17.
I'm not sure exactly what mods are from type F to G, if you do maybe you could convert it? The FG model has Olive drab, white and yellow Coast Guard rescue versions. The nose arts and unit insignias are separate add-ons, and I didn't see Memphis Belle art but iof you are artistic maybe you could make your own?

Z

Zathros

Wow, I must be going blind, I didn't see any B-17's there and the search function came up with zip?!?

Psyscape

You have to search for Boeing or Flying Fortress at Fiddlers for it to show. It's 19.95 and is a type G as previously stated.

As for the differences. If I recall correctly the B-17F was the first to use a full plexiglass non-ribbed nose cone (in later models) and off-set cheek guns, larger bomb bay (around 8000 lbs I think) and extra fuel capacity (not that you'd notice that in a model) I think later F variants included the remote chin turret after experimenting with various extra guns in the nose; which became the defining silhouette for the G variant with the G being the last model made I believe.

Looking at the design differences, I don't think it would be easy - without major surgery - to remove the chin turret from a B-17G and re-model the nose to fit in the the Memphis Belle B-17F which has no chin turret and a framed glass nose rather than the single piece moulded version of later models. Not that it couldn't be done, but it would be a fair challenge. It looks (from a couple photos I have) that the Memphis Belle had four cheek guns, two mounted in the nose frame and two place back in offset line at the cheeks.

Happy to be corrected if I've got any of that wrong. :)

Psyscape

Just to be helpful and show the different silhouettes of the F and G variants, the following image shows how much will need to be cut away and remodelled from the G's that are available.

It could be done, but... It would be an interesting challenge.

Sorry I can't help with a pointer to a paper model of the plane, I did have a quick search to see if I could find one, but all those I did find were the G variant.

Attachments

• B17F-G.jpg
    B17F-G.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24

tjbmurph

This is fantastic guys (and/or gals)! I think I'm too new at this to try modifying a model that extensively. I should probably get a few more builds under my belt first. But at least I now have some options...

(I could try the Maly Modelarz kit first, as niebla de fuego suggested)

N

niebla de fuego

You have to search for Boeing or Flying Fortress at Fiddlers for it to show. It's 19.95 and is a type G as previously stated.

As for the differences. If I recall correctly the B-17F was the first to use a full plexiglass non-ribbed nose cone (in later models) and off-set cheek guns, larger bomb bay (around 8000 lbs I think) and extra fuel capacity (not that you'd notice that in a model) I think later F variants included the remote chin turret after experimenting with various extra guns in the nose; which became the defining silhouette for the G variant with the G being the last model made I believe.

Looking at the design differences, I don't think it would be easy - without major surgery - to remove the chin turret from a B-17G and re-model the nose to fit in the the Memphis Belle B-17F which has no chin turret and a framed glass nose rather than the single piece moulded version of later models. Not that it couldn't be done, but it would be a fair challenge. It looks (from a couple photos I have) that the Memphis Belle had four cheek guns, two mounted in the nose frame and two place back in offset line at the cheeks.

Happy to be corrected if I've got any of that wrong. :)

Besides the differences you mention, there is another one: the "Cheyenne" tail turret that was present in most of the "G" and some late "F" models, but was absent in the Belle, which had the old type tail turret.

Z

Zathros

Has anyone built the F.G. B-17? It seems like a nice model, and of course, once you have the file, you can make as many as you want. Price seems high, but then again, these things are hard to design, and F.G. seems to be the only place that has one that isn't a pirate or a scan. I am surprised that ECardmodels doesn't have one, I know an incredible designer over at Papermodelers.com, John Dell, was working on one, I don't know if it is ready to be released or has somewhere else. He did an incredible series of B-24 Liberators, that ECardmodels sells, for an incredibly reasonable price, $8.95. I don't think I have seen any models at ECardmodels that cost $19.95, I could be wrong, but that seems really expensive for something that is not already printed, just my own opinion as an individual. Of course, if you are the only one who has one, well woompf, there it is! :)

Picture of John Dell's Model

Sunshine_side.jpg

Psyscape

Besides the differences you mention, there is another one: the "Cheyenne" tail turret that was present in most of the "G" and some late "F" models, but was absent in the Belle, which had the old type tail turret.

Ah yes, thanks. I knew I'd missed something. The remote controlled turret named after the area that designed it.

You know, it's amazing when you look at how much firepower the B-17G carried, it certainly represented it's name perfectly, "Flying Fortress."

Z

Zathros

Did any of you guys see the documentary about the one that was tuned high performance to be used for a reconnaissance mission, it carried only cameras, and machine guns sticking out of every hole. It downed something like 6 Japanese planes and made it back, completing it's mission. I am so bad with technical details, but I am sure someone here knows what I was talking about. :)

Vince

I haven't built my B-17 yet, still wrapped up in my Buran Grasshopper project, built on my list. I want to try making clear cockpit glass windows and an interior. I've built a couple of plastic B-17s over the years, and I think it's one of the coolest aircraft of WWII. IMHO, of course.

Psyscape

Zathros, that would be the B17E "Old 666", sent over (if I recall correctly) the Solomon Islands on a recon mission prior to the islands being invaded. She was heavily damaged and most of the crew killed but did manage to defend herself against a squadron of Japanese aircraft and I believe shot 6 of them down. I'm going on failing memory here but I'm pretty sure the aircraft was considered cursed because she always came home badly damaged. The pilot and crew I seem to recall became rather famous for some truly heroic/insane actions during battle, so they had form for doing ridiculously improbable things with the aircraft. Sorry, but I don't recall either the pilot or crew names, but they did get decorated for the recon mission - MoH I think it was with a pile of DSCs.

I remember watching it on the History Channel here but it was a while back.