M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
Zathros, thanks for the tip, but your later suggestion is wiser :)

Boris, if you look for completed ones, you'll see that a lot of t is seen pretty good. But i'll consider your and Zathros suggestion, though no promises :)

So, I proceeded to the assembly of distribution pipe.
Once again I realized how I do not like pipes and especially bending ones, with addition of paper, which strives to exfoliate at the earliest opportunity. :)
Extension tubes are not glued, because i don't know if the length will be enough for connection to filters tubes.
I didn't glued the pipe yet, since it was assembled only to help fit carburetors.

2ywh5f.jpg

IWbo6U.jpg

TwJDBe.jpg

Although the black paint has already arrived, I was doubly glad, as I found
black wire with a suitable diameter for pipes from the carburetor to the blocks
and another one for pipes from the radiator to the blocks. So less mess with the paint ;)
In addition, this wire is stronger than solder one.

On the left side, a bar with carburetors is attached to the edge of the block and adjusting the pipes was easy.
On the left side I sweated a little, because the bar is kept in the air on two pipes, and it was necessary to measure a lot and adjust it, so that everything would sit on one level.
As expected - distribution pipe and throttle stem helped to achieve it.

1fYWB8.jpg

JR7yT7.jpg

fmJAo0.jpg

nl1Kf4.jpg
Unbelievable! Outstanding work!

Reactions: snake7

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That engine was designed for the soldier in the field to work o. You are showing a history of genius of necessity being the mother of invention. That engine jus gts better and better. I'd make that engine model on it's own merits, and call it a day. You just keep adding more and more, I expect it to start running!! ;)

Reactions: snake7 and xaero892

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thank you Rhaven Black, Jacopo and Zathros

@snake7 I have to say that this project is really taking on a life all its own! I really like how you are setting up the build thread. I like how you show the section that you are working on at the time and then show the actual work that you do and the final outcome of that particular section.
I think that I may implement this same technique. It makes sense for making perfect instructions.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Well, I try to set a build thread as i would want to see by myself, because I understand how helpful is organized thread when you build the model yourself and you need a reference to answer your questions, bypass mistakes and see the details, you cannot in drawings.

By the way, in this models drawings are modern 3D ones, but they left them grey filled and that is not helpful, when looking for small details.

You just keep adding more and more, I expect it to start running!! ;)

It can not, because the designer omitted fuel lines, leading from carburetors... but I'll figure out something, i promise :)

Continued to equip the engine

Assembled oil filter

a3Cqib.jpg

VaGdYW.jpg

When gluing the sphere of the filter case, I used the method with holes.
I put a little smaller hole on the cylinder and fix it with glue.
Then I put on one smaller and fix it and so on until the sphere is closed.
In this way, the tabs bend and connect evenly.

xOpjB5.jpg

ZqM1jr.jpg

NHzCJr.jpg

And the filter is ready

5o9EVq.jpg

Maintenance step and crankcase dry breather

ZQDWUK.jpg

UYKIr8.jpg

KESCFk.jpg

iMX7j5.jpg

ac6j7Z.jpg

Set everything in place

G3noIz.jpg

Rigyad.jpg

Next step is the radiator!

Dagger

Feb 11, 2019
Wonderful work Igor! The detail of that engine is great, you are achieving something fantastic.

Reactions: snake7

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
It can not, because the designer omitted fuel lines, leading from carburetors... but I'll figure out something, i promise
Some good info on the Sherman Tank Site HERE
and all the pictures in the world HERE

I never really thought about it..but this engine is a Monster!! Talk about 5 engines on a central crank!! OMG!

Attachments

• M4A4-labeled-image-front-small.png
    M4A4-labeled-image-front-small.png
    629.8 KB · Views: 6
  • A57one-water-pumpsmall.png
    A57one-water-pumpsmall.png
    601.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
According to the pics you supplied it used a fuel distribution block, probably going to the side of the carbs, with one main feed line into the block. Metal lines was the practice. One of these engines in good condition can cost $50K or more!! ;)

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thank you pals :cool:

Some good info on the Sherman Tank Site HERE
and all the pictures in the world HERE

I never really thought about it..but this engine is a Monster!! Talk about 5 engines on a central crank!! OMG!
This links exactly are saved in my favorites from the beginning of a build thumbsup Thank you anyway!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandolf50

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Radiator consists of three parts: main body, top and pump cooling tubes joints

The body - you can see the thoughtful design here: first of all you build a power structure and then dress it in skins and details. If you do everything right - it is really easy
This radiator has interesting shape with hole. Square hole is for an auxiliary fan motor and round one for fan axel

GKaC4i.jpg

82OOds.jpg

8zas9R.jpg

nTmQrA.jpg

megZa4.jpg

The top - here is the same, power structure and skins

mo8beJ.jpg

Akvyn7.jpg

S2m4Va.jpg

Tubes joinings - really simple :)

5bp6Cf.jpg

r9H31b.jpg

OElPSr.jpg

And everything assembled together

PM3frg.jpg

cQbnlA.jpg

gnVdIc.jpg

Already tried to join it with the engine - went good :)

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thanks Boris

And next part in the radiator was the fan with cover.
Grey drawings didn't help and so neither instructions, so i was in need to figure out by myself, how to assemble it.
The order was:
glue bushing, that sits on an engine axel, to lower gear disk
glue middle supporting disk on lower disk plus bushing that give basis to upper disk
glue upper diks with tip of axel on the basis
round with strips and finish with blades

When i dry fitted fan on engine axel - it connected with auxiliary motor gear perfectly

3btbx6.jpg

wF6WUI.jpg

OpDYUW.jpg

DFlec0.jpg
9i4CSp.jpg

dTzsrU.jpg
0EQs9y.jpg

nPh4t7.jpg

Bn3yjk.jpg

juHCL3.jpg

Cover was simple

xnKEU2.jpg

And finally assembled everything together from right to left

okZMwE.jpg

Also I added outlet pipes, which took hot cooling liquid from blocks to radiator. It was a pain in the #@s, but i somehow managed to put it in place in right shape. I used 3 mm wire isolation, though i pulled soft wire and inserted stiff, so the shape will hold.

dszDDZ.jpg

0WaUNO.jpg

efmT7z.jpg

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thank you all again!

The next stage of assembly was not easy - again the tubes, not regular, but rather varying in diameter and bending in several directions :eek:
Namely - the exhaust pipes.
But previous experiments on cats helped and first pipe came out OK , where second was even better.
Not ideal, but I was satisfied with the result.

An interesting note: the developer, anticipating the crysis, gave these details in three copies...
I managed to assemble with the first one, so not everything is lost :cool:

5lz7Ml.jpg

oDNcus.jpg

Here you can see several stages of assembly.
Due to the small connecting tongues, I decided to tint the ends at the end.
I used acrylic paint, instead of usual water one and painted it with a toothpick, to prevent splitting the paint.

E2zX0N.jpg

d4xj6s.jpg

K6TK2Z.jpg

EK166J.jpg

i3bckq.jpg

At this point, gluing parts is very critical, as everything should join the sequels of the unit and do not bulge out of the engine compartment, not to mention getting into it at all.
Therefore, I tried to put the engine in the hull a lot of times and measured and checked so that everything will sit right.
This is probably the other side of the coin in such a complex and very accurate model.
There is no chance that a drop of the glue layer will not be added and all the folds will be perfect and there will be no small errors
here and there and in the end everything needs to be adjusted so that it will connect perfectly.

d9Jq4n.jpg

jeeJjT.jpg

1p2ZEY.jpg

In general, the exhaust pipes connected normally, only on the right pipe
i cut a little at the end below, so it will not rub the side of a hull.
You can see on the last photo that eventually they entered exactly along the walls.

L90Ng9.jpg

In the process, I noticed that carburetors sit higher than the upper line of engine compartment.
So one evening I had horrors on the table, during the correction of these.

There are few details left, so the end is already visible!