M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Last bits..
Turret hydraulic travers gear

XH6rx7.jpg

BBNZ8z.jpg

On the left oil reservoir, on the right control box, on the top hydraulic switches. And funny looking handle is gunner's power traversing control handle.
This is only a half of whole mechanism.

QwEdzo.jpg

9orpdf.jpg

uNI3kX.jpg

Last edited:

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thanks Rhaven and Micha

Second part of hydraulic travers gear - manual controls

OUTBwX.jpg

GwMyYI.jpg

I want to notice that there are no markings how to glue parts in angle to each other, so you must figure it out by 3D drawings only

YFvPil.jpg

1FtmDr.jpg

Next step was to connect two parts together by piping. But first i decided to to glue them in basket. Gear itself has marking on one of the beams to glue to, but manual controls glue marking is in turret itself. So i dry fitted basket into turret and marked placement of the controls. Then i glued it inside basket and attached previously prepared pipes.
Also, there are two parts of protective skirt. Those have hole mesh, that very difficult to cut in paper. But friend from neighbour forum also assembled this model and got him laser cut ones. And i got the spares! :)

Skirt from book

p8JV16.jpg

Laser cut skirt

R4fRDj.jpg

Took one sample and painted to look like original

bTMWYQ.jpg

Everything assembled in basket

kioSJi.jpg

dXeon6.jpg

1gt8qU.jpg

zjBgtX.jpg

Basket finally glued to turret!

pLinyI.jpg

1YN6Sc.jpg

And look what attached next ;)

xyl1wb.jpg

Gun inserted into opening like it should. It was easy to connect lifting cylinder with gun base, through the openings in floor.
I think, on real tank, when gun unit was faulty, they just pulled whole unit out and inserted new one. Genius engineering!

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
That skirting for the cage adds another layer of realism to this kit. Great Work.

Reactions: snake7

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have run out of words. These little bits and pieces that are made up of 10 or 20 pieces just blow my mind. seriously though, I will start repeating myself, if I haven't already. It's like looking at a Michelangelo, what could any of my comments possibly add. ;)

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thanks guys!

Last part was like a sweet bonus.
So satisfying detailed one and so joy to build
External MG Browning M2!

MOX0sr.jpg

De03p9.jpg

In process. Barrel made from straighten office clip.

ISeyI5.jpg

Ready

tTDjLE.jpg

Ooqyx4.jpg

MG and stand assembled together and... I finished it!!!

MG...

XAi6Bq.jpg

1AGQrk.jpg

MG on turret...

N3AMhP.jpg

Turret on hull...

wiuS25.jpg

Firefly completed!

Fh4qBi.jpg

Final thoughts and photo session will be later.
I just need to pack my mind and also to think how can i make a photo session of such big model (my little studio to small for it)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
You did a GREAT JOB on the MG Browning M2. Like everything else, it looks very realistic! This tank turned out PERFECTLY AMAZING!
KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WEL DONE!!!

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
O man you nailed this build I love all the details and the way you shared your thoughts during this build. Thank you verry much for building this amazing model.
:bowdown:
:yesyes: :surprise:

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Well, in such a big project you need to make a conclusion.

First of all, i want to thank everyone that watched this thread and stayed with me for such long period. Your feedback was i big part of motivation to continue till the end.

So, 1 cm thick book, 10000+ details, three and a half years of assembling, 900+ pictures, a lot of glue and cardboard and super detailed model, that was a challenge and joy to build.
Despite such a complex design, there were minor mistakes, that were really easy to correct.
Design is on top and very thoughtful with builder and for this my big respect to the creator of this model. Print is excellent and paper is good, though can exfoliate when rolled tight.
I enjoyed a lot to build this model and learned a lot about tanks and Sherman Firefly in particular. When model is so detailed, you just want to get as more information about it as you can and understand every part you put together.
In addition i learned some new technics and had new experience with paper and cardboard work.
This build just became a part of my life for several years and i feel a little strange right now, after finishing it. Also, there are side effects - I'll probably always compare any model to Sherman, from now on :)
To sum it up - this was a journey and i loved it.

P.S. I plan to present Firefly on upcoming exhibition of Israeli IPMS modelers club.

Enjoy final photo session :cool:

Part I

uMkSvV.jpg

a9NeG1.jpg

VzD3Mr.jpg

agjERh.jpg

Css7oz.jpg

nfob6n.jpg

6i8YlZ.jpg

NcbEW7.jpg

QVFQB3.jpg

EUXYmF.jpg

libXYk.jpg

gpi70R.jpg

GDrLmx.jpg

3a4x8S.jpg

0Ywlal.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
A truly wonderful build, the detail is amazing, and your execution is top notch.

:bowdown: :BRAVO::exploding_head:

Truly deserving of a Model of Merit.

Boris

Dear Igor
This build is a real piece of art.
Your patience , commitment and attention to details should be highly appreciated.
This is an example of how model build should be done, but, moreover, it is a good example of how to present a build log: step by step, with clear and understandable explanations.
Kudos!!! Keep on rocking!

Reactions: snake7 and mijob

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
One of the most fantastic builds, build threads, and probably the best tank model every constructed by anyone. What a jewel! :) :bowdown:
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: