looking for info

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Jim I hope that you meant live steam because when i typed in Arizona and Pacific RR the only matches i got were for live steam railroads.

The Arizona and Pacific Railroad, a project of John Sayre (with help from brother David), is located in Peoria, Arizona a rapidly growing suburb northwest of Phoenix. The roster of motive power includes MTC G-16 No. 582 and two Allan Herschell S-16s numbers 59-1873 and 60-1880. Two speeders, a handcar, three G-16 coaches and three S-16 coaches fill out the MOW and rolling stock rosters.

The A & P RR can trace its origins to a Fall day in 1994 when the Sayre Bros. attended a rare open house at the Flagstaff and Middle Verde Railroad of Malcolm and Martha Mackey in Camp Verde, Arizona and "got hooked" on Allan Herschell and Miniature Train Company equipment and its operation. We purchased our first significant piece of equipment in May of the following year.

The current line consists of approximately 1,000 track feet of 16" gauge mainline and sidetracks which travel among forty fruit trees and rose gardens and past our brick observation patios. An additional 500 feet of roadway is under construction and adjacent property is being contemplated. Four switches, two crossing signals, trestle and engine house currently are in place. Six additional MTC switches, three more crossing signals, two MTC block signals, and a MTC gate crossing have been restored and await installation in the next phase of our project. A gallows style turntable and a scaled replica water tank are currently being designed. A seven stall engine house is still in the planning stage. Photos of the line and equipment can be found here.

Engine No. 1 of the A & P RR , the "Phoenix" is the current showpiece of the railroad. It was originally purchased by Del Webb (1959) and operated at his HiWay House Hotel and convention center in Phoenix. The history of the engine can be found here.

We pay tremendous attention to detail in the restoration of each one of our projects and as a result our projects don't get completed as quickly as those of some other enthusiasts. We are, however, very pleased as are others with the finished projects. We hope you enjoy some of our before and after as well as our construction photographs.

Hi Jim,
The closest I could find associated with Canyon Diablo
was the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad. I guess they originally had
the charter to cross the canyon but the bridge was actually built
by the AT&SF. Anyway if you search for "Atlantic and Pacific"
and "Canyon Diablo" you come up with all sorts of interesting
historical notes.
I also came across the San Diego and Arizona Railroad which
had a real tough time in Corriso Gorge what with floods,
landslides, tunnels collapsing, wars, fires, you name it!!
See:
http://www.sdrm.org/history/sda/history.html :) :)

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Cid
thanks for info and you are right it is the Alantic and pacific rr
got side tracked with name and according to one sorce it was also know as the soulthern at&sf.:confused:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If my history is correct the Atlantic and Pacific was the original name for the railroad that became the AT&SF. Much of their manline was buuilt under the name Atlantic and Pacific Railroad.
I think it was a common practice as well in the early days for a local groupe of community boosters to incorporate a railroad name to build locally with the understanding that they would then join their tracks to one of the class 1 railroads and become part of the larger railroad. That was one way to get rail service to your town when their were no cars or federal highways. I think most of the Santa Fe mainline trackage in California came about that way.