Looking for Dimentions of N&W 611

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Hi all:wave:
In my CAD class, I'm currently drawing the sole surviving GS-4 complete with color. My classmates think I'm nuts/insane:lol::razz:tooth1, but my teacher really likes my work, and he's given me a special assignment: Draw up N&W 611. He rode the train about 20-30 years ago, and after seeing me draw up a 4-8-4, requested if I could modify the basic shape of the daylight into the 611. I tracked down a basic sketch, and from that I can tell I need to start from scratch, for the 611 and 4449 are almost nothing alike! However, I don't know some critical information, like the engine length, how far apart the driving wheels are, height, etc. Can any of you guys tell me these things? I really want to do this mainly because I get my kicks from drawing these things and this teacher is on of my all-time favorites.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Go to Roanoke with a tape measure and notepad?

Failing that, I've seen some original N&W locomotive plans pop up on eBay in the past, but it'd probably be cheaper to buy that plane ticket to Virginia...

~BS

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
There were drawings of the NW 611 in Model Railroader in the mid 70's IIRC. You could get your dimentions from that.

Greg

That's a great idea, only problem is I don't know where the heck to find MR's from the mid 70's, mybe the guys at the NMRA might help...

CNW, that site contained just the stuff I needed! Thanks!

railohio, I'd LOVE to crawl all over the 611, but that's probably not allowed, plus I can't take any sudden plane trips right now, and I'm not allowed using E(vil)-Bay for pretty obvious reasons.