Loco Weathering

rockislandmike

I posted this in our inner-sanctum Rock Island thread, but it turned out so neat I thought I'd post it here too. I had a ROCK loco that just looked too pristine, too shiny. So I weathered it . . a lot . . . my first major weathering project (I've done a few railcars prior). Anyways, here's the before and after.

jan1205.jpg

rock4425weathered.jpg

rockislandmike

One more photo for tonight, then I've got to update my checkbook and pay bills (what fun). This is another weathered loco, and caboose, this time in the fictional Akkerslakksley Erickson colors (a switching operation on my layout). Hockey fans will be able to see the colors came from the old Edmonton Oilers jerseys, coppery orange and dark navy blue.

mar200201.jpg

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Mike,
Nice dirt! Used, but not too terribly abused! I've seen too many pictures of Malcolm Furlough's work, and I have a hard time keeping the weathering down to a dull roar! Looks good!
Pete

Woodie

looks good!

Mike,
Looks fab. I'm not game enough yet, to do some weathering like that. To scared I'll wreck the thing, and it'll look more like greasy finger prints than weathering!

rockislandmike

Okay, just one more I promise. The unit on the right I also acquired in an eBay lot; it stutters like crazy, and has NO couplers (i.e., it looks like somebody was going to start installing Kadees, then gave up). I'm not quite sure what it's role will be on the layout yet, perhaps just out of the way as an old dilapidated unit, but, at any rate, here it is weathered (on the right), next to my shiny SD40P #363.

weathered3560b.jpg