Link Trainer Flight Simulator - Paper Model

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
This was an interesting paper model to build from a while ago. Its the Link Trainer Flight Simulator from back in the 1940's. Here is a section of text from the Web Site that offers the free model:

"The Link Trainer holds a significant place in aviation history. It was the first true flight simulator, and provided safe training to hundreds of thousands of student pilots during the 1930s and 40s. Using the skills gained working at his father's piano and organ factory, and his own flying experience, Edwin Link designed and built his "pilot trainer" which was patented in 1931. It provided a realistic depiction of flight, and was especially useful in teaching instrument flying. The Link Trainer came into widespread use during the Second World War, with thousands being built for the American, British and Commonwealth air forces. It was a technological marvel at the time of its invention, and its legacy can be seen in modern flight simulators."

When growing up in England, all I could think about was joining the Royal Air Force (RAF). When I was about 16 or so, I joined the Air Training Corp (ATC). It was the primer before joining the full-fledged RAF. I used to go each week for about 2 years, and we would learn using most of the criteria used for pilots in WWII. We would have uniforms, rifles (imitation ones), pretty much everything that would ready you for a role in the Air Force. They also had a Link Trainer Flight Simulator which I was required to learn how to fly an airplane. It was exactly like the one here except if I remember right, it had red, white, and blue roundels on the wings. I would climb up into the cockpit using a small step-stool. Once sitting inside, the other higher-ups would close the canopy which had no windows. I then put on the headphones, and would communicate with the "ground crew" with a microphone in the mask. It was flying blind, using only the instruments. It was difficult to operate. It would move around too when you shifted the joystick. They asked me if I would like to become one of the team that were responsible for operating it.

This is the main base that it all moves about on.

100_5237 - Copy.jpg

The base pretty much built up. The motor is on the left of the picture which would spin the thing around when you pressed the rudder pedals.

100_5238 - Copy.jpg100_5239 - Copy.jpg100_5240 - Copy.jpg100_5241 - Copy.jpg100_5242 - Copy.jpg

The rudder pedals, and floor pan. It bought back all the memories :)

100_5244 - Copy.jpg

Its a really nicely detailed model.

100_5245 - Copy.jpg

There's the throttle if I remember right on the left of the cockpit. Geez, I remember watching all those dials so closely! The turn-and-back, altimeter, air-speed-indicator and so on :sadno:

100_5246 - Copy.jpg

Ah yes, the yoke! Seemed kind of cumbersome at the time, but getting me closer to my dream airplane... the Spitfire!!

100_5247 - Copy.jpg100_5248 - Copy.jpg100_5249 - Copy.jpg

Some of the parts are super-tiny so beware!

100_5251 - Copy.jpg

The fin and rudder

100_5253 - Copy.jpg

The tailplane and elevators.

100_5254 - Copy.jpg

The main wings and ailerons. The wings have the proper airfoil section.

100_5255 - Copy.jpg100_5256 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• 100_5243 - Copy.jpg
    100_5243 - Copy.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5252 - Copy.jpg
    100_5252 - Copy.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_5255.jpg
    100_5255.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I saw one of these in a museum and though with some 1//4" plywood, it wouldn't b e hard to bank out a 1:1 scale model. Your model is coming out nice. :)

Reactions: mtrappett

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I "flew" one several times back when I was a kid. They had one set up at the museum on Lackland AFB when my dad was an instructor there in the mid to late 70's. used to spend a many an hour there.

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
I saw one of these in a museum and though with some 1//4" plywood, it wouldn't b e hard to bank out a 1:1 scale model. Your model is coming out nice. :)
That would be neat for sure! It's been so long ago now but it makes me wish I had stuck to my guns and joined. They used to encourage building model aircraft too in the ATC and the RAF. The used to have some scary hazing rituals though which kind of put me off :exploding_head:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
As always, you are doing TOP NOTCH work! Everything is so very clear, clean and crisp.

Sadly, being 6' 6", there is no way, I could have ever been a pilot. I could never fit in the cockpit (even an open air cockpit. There is not enough leg room either).

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Have any of you guys ever flown a Cessna 152? Proof that people were much smaller not too long ago. I have to lift my left shoulder to fly those aircraft. Their dangerous stall characteristics stopped me from flying those death machines. That musky smell inside the old link trainers are probably trapped farts from 60 years ago. Some UV-C light would take care of that, as would a day in the Sunshine. It's amazing how much time people would spend in those things. It saved many lives.

Reactions: micahrogers

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I wanted to be a pilot, but missed my chance to learn as a child. I've been in all types of aircraft, but always as a passenger...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I started flying in my 40's. I walked into a situation where I ran the FBO on the weekends, got paid $12 bucks an hour under the table to work on the planes, the owner was a certified A&P, and A.I., so I had an apprentice book,, logging what I did and the amount of time, all the pertinent information and was apprenticing under his tutelage. Bottom line was I could take a plane out flying for no charge whenever I wanted to. I only had to pay $15 dollars an hour for lessons, and solo'd in 13 hours. Those kind of situations don't come around much. Without that arrangement, I could have never afforded it. :)

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I had an opportunity when I was in my teens to get the lessons and access to the aircraft for free, a friend of my dads was a pilot in the USAF, and he ran a flight school at a private field in San Antonio on the side. I was more interested in other things though, and missed the opportunity. Then School, work, and life took over and I was never able to afford it later in life.

Reactions: Revell-Fan

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Flying was fun, can't lie about that, but I knew it was something I would ony be doing for a short time as it is very expensive, and either that becomes part of your lifewtyle, or it's something you do, then move on. I sailed a lot too, some pretty big boats single handily. That too was very expensive. Motorcycling is what I found gave me the thrill of both, and was a cheap or expensive as you wanted to make it. ;)