Lilienthal Glider (Schreiber 1:24)

rkelterer

during xmas holidays i returned to the roots of flying machines. the paperwork is not to complicated. all the struts should be made of wood or at least be supported by wood. rigging is quite sophisticated, because the model flutter like a butterfly 8). i fixed the wings with only two lines first. after doing the rest i replaced the initial ones.

this model will be shown to the public at the 'austrian aviation museum' in graz.

cheers from austria
raimund

Leif Oh

I like the model of the aircraft very much, and you have built it very well. Will make a fine exhibition piece at the museum. Very gratifying for you - congrat's!

What kept me from buying the kit is the recurring problem of the pilot figure. What to do, where to get proper pilot figures in 1/24-25, and 1/16?

Leif

Bowdenja

Great model, wonderful workmanship........ good timing.......... there was TV show on this this weekend. Someone made a full sized model and had two professional hang-glider pilots try it out. Needless to say they were very amazed that Lilienthal was able to get some sucessful flights before he finally fell to his death.
Using his body weight to change the center of gravity was not a very practical(safe) solution to control.

rkelterer

@leif:

even without the pilot the kit is worth to build :D

@bowdenja:

nice to hear about a tv show about flight history :p , unfortunately i did not get any information on the dihedral of the glider. the instructions show a total flat arrangement

cheers from austria
raimund

HB

This one I got to build! I like the pilot, he makes the hole thing look like something out of a old Easternblock child animation film (Very popular in Sweden in the 70's) and it brings back childhood memories. This one reminds me of why I'm building card models, Feeling! :D

Mvh HÃ¥kan B.

Jim Krauzlis

Congratulations, Raimund, on being the picture of the week! :D

Very justly deserved, one beautiful and delicate model!!

Wishing you all the very best,

Jim

rkelterer

@jim:

thank you very much for your wishes - and a big thank you to our jury for the picture of the week - I feel myself :eek:ops: honoured - among all the perfect builds on this location - I feel myself as a part of the great cardmodelers family :p

cheers
raimund