Life-Like Proto 2000 Berkshire

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
04330000007471.gif

Van Sweringen 2-8-4 Berkshires feature over 50 hand-applied parts, roadname-specific detailing, blackened nickel-silver wheels with RP-25 wheels, driver and tender electrical pickup, front and rear working knuckle couplers and LED headlight and backup light. These smooth-running models are powered by a powerful, flywheel-equipped five-pole motor with skew-wound armature. The locomotives run on code 55 track with radii as sharp as 9-3/4" and each comes with working knuckle couplers.

Does anyone have one of these? Do they run as good as they look? I don't think I've ever seen a more detailed engine right out of the box like this.

Rasputen

Apr 18, 2006
I have five of them so far. The only real flaws are a lack of pulling power (no traction tire option), and a heavily laden engine can climb up the outside rail in a curve. There are several threads on this or other forums that describe how to solve these issues. To me it is one of, if not the smoothest running N scale steam locomotives ever offered. The other drawback is there does not seem to be any spare parts available at all.