Liebherr R-954 Excavator by nosports and Retunga

Boris

Well-Known Member
Apr 12, 2004
61
113
46
43
Hello everybody
A small update.
Started with scratch built parts.
First, small preamble.
I found many pictures of this and other excavators of similar size. All of them had their top and bottom plate of the boom and stick protrude beyond the sidecheeks. As far as I can understand it, this protrusion is needed to easily weld the parts together.
This model does not provide for this protrusion. So... I will make it by myself.
I printed out a sheet of paper filled with orange color. Then I glued narrow cardboard strip (actually it was a side piece of cereal box) along the long side of the sheet. After everything was dry, I sliced 2mm wide strips from this sandwich, edge painted and glued these on the side cheeks of the boom to simulate this protrusion.
Then I switched to hydraulic lines.
The lines in this model are given as flat strips of paper. Surely I could not do this
So, had to find tubes...
Small diameter tubes were exact diameter as PVC laminated medium sized paper clips. The donor for larger tubes was found in my daughter's bracelet making set. My daughter kindly donated one of the long tubes which was exact diameter of the larger hydro line and the same internal diameter of the paper clips.
So, I made the bases for these tubes as proposed by designers. Then I've cut small 1cm long wires from the wire that I pulled from the laminated paper clip. Then I glued these wires on their places on the bases. Then the bases were covered by corresponding covers.
Then I cut the tubes to length, painted black with permanent marker, simulated the press fit connectors by 4mm wide aluminum foil strips.
And then I had to devise a "collector" to which the lines will connect inside the engine bay. Found some copper wire at home that fit internal diameter of the lines, formed them to correct shape, soldered them together and colored them black with permanent marker. Looks acceptable.
Then I started to assemble the things together.
Result is seen on picture.

More hydro lines will come later
I will take about 3 weeks off on this build, going for family vacation in USA.20190921_035242-1024x576.jpg20190921_123041-1024x576.jpg20190921_123045-1024x576.jpg20190921_035235-1024x576.jpg20190914_033300-1024x576.jpg20190921_120450-1024x576.jpg20190921_120506-1024x576.jpg20190921_122642-1024x576.jpg20190914_013604-1024x576.jpg20190921_035156-1024x576.jpg20190907_005251-1024x576.jpg20190914_001219-1024x576.jpg
 

zathros

-----SENIOR----
Administrator
Moderator
Apr 6, 2013
10,776
5,946
228
You've taken this model to another level. I'm happy your building this. On paper, the parts look simplistic, but you have shown what you can do with almost any model. You put more into it, and the rewards are obvious. :)
 

Boris

Well-Known Member
Apr 12, 2004
61
113
46
43
Thanks zathros
Actually I didn't want to spend too much time on this model. But then it got me charmed.
You know what I mean
 
  • Like
Reactions: zathros

zathros

-----SENIOR----
Administrator
Moderator
Apr 6, 2013
10,776
5,946
228
Looking at the pictures, I know exactly what you mean. No doubt you will inspire others to build this model, whether they post or even tell anyone, other people who read this thread will be inspired. ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Boris

Boris

Well-Known Member
Apr 12, 2004
61
113
46
43
Hello everybody
Finished with the hydro lines.
Lines were made from plastic tubes used for making bracelets and PVC covered paper clips colored with black permanent marker
Connections between tubes was made from big paper clips, cut to about 1 cm length

So, what I got left
Need to mount the arms to the body
Need to decide what to do with the operators compartment
Need to install hand rails all around the body
Some small parts like ladders and such.


20191116_035447-1024x576.jpg20191116_035909-1024x576.jpg20191116_035914-1024x576.jpg20191116_035920-1024x576.jpg20191130_040405-1024x576.jpg20191130_040514-1024x576.jpg20191130_040337-1024x576.jpg20191130_040358-1024x576.jpg20191130_040448-1024x576.jpg20191130_040342-1024x576.jpg
 

Boris

Well-Known Member
Apr 12, 2004
61
113
46
43
Nice use of "Found Materials" !!! Looks Great!
I never heard this expression in regards to paper models. Thanks
Actually, the PVC coated paper clips idea was suggested by a good friend here in Israel, Yoav Hozmi.
The larger tubes was quite a challenge. Tried to use wire isolation, shrinking isolation, flexible wires from DVI cable, thick thread... Lastly, my daughter gave me a soft plastic tube from her bracelet making game set and - bingo!
Of course I got to our cheapo store and bought a bunch of these tubes "for her". A small bag of 5 tubes 1 m long each should be sufficient for years to come and it cost close to nothing