Lets build car loads,please feel free to share your work and ideas here!

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
I got of on a little bit of a tangent this week. I ran by hobby lobby to get some supplies. while there I noticed a 1/72 kit for a Sopwith Camel. well I snatched it up without any clear idea what to do with it. I don't have an air field, or room to make one. after looking at the pieces I decided it was a flatcar load.

I assembled some parts of it, and cut up the bottom wing, separating off the part that was the bottom of the fuselage. after doing some basic painting, ( I decided to leave off the decals with the military markings, as I model in 1925, I figured this plane had been in civilian life for a long time). I built the fuselage up, and crated the wings with some balsa lumber I had made for stacks of lumber at the mill, and then crated up the whole mess to make a flatcar load.

Have you made an interesting load, it doesn't have to be a flatcar load, something interesting barely visible through an open boxacr door, can add a lot of interest. share your loads, and any construction methods here!

Attachments

• AAASLA-1aa -1c.jpg
    AAASLA-1aa -1c.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 35
  • AAASLA-1aa -1d.jpg
    AAASLA-1aa -1d.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 33
  • AASL-1a Crted bp 3-a.jpg
    AASL-1a Crted bp 3-a.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 35
  • AAAsl crtd bp 3-b.jpg
    AAAsl crtd bp 3-b.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 39
  • AAASL1-AA FLCRLD #5.jpg
    AAASL1-AA FLCRLD #5.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 35
Z

Zathros

That is a really excellent idea. It has excellent visual appeal and sends ones mind of days dreams in already flight of fancy! Very ingenious! :)

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
It should really be covered up with tarps, but that would be a shame. Perhaps the solution would be to devise a removable tarp, or a tarp that has come loose in places, allowing some interesting glimpses.

I could cover the load with saran wrap, and use coffee filter or tea bag paper stiffened with tan acrylic paint to make the canvas. If I actually do that, I'll document it here. any number of ugly junk could be turned into a load by covering it with canvass thus modeled.

Bill Nelson

Z

Zathros

Parchment paper soaked in water and molded to the shape, let dry,then weathered up a bit, would make some believable tarps! :) .

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Jun 14, 2010
Omro, WI
www.facebook.com
Cool load Bill. Laying around somewhere in my desk I have a old Hustler motor I painted dark gray and loaded on a Navy flat car. I also had a few crates from one of my buildings that I painted up that went on that flatcar, pretending to be a generator for a submarine or something. That and it adds a good amount of weight too!

When I get more of my fleet painted up, I want to build the removable loads for flatcars, gondolas, and some boxcars like how they did in the Model Railroader a few months back. So far, the Whiskey River Railway only has four flatcars and doesn't really have a need for more, so removable loads are almost a must. I model 1936-1942, so in the later years my flats will accommodate deuce and a halves and jeeps while the post depression years will haul new Chevy and Ford vehicles and farm machinery.

Tyler