led flash to sound circuit

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
High Voltage for such a small circuit. A 9 Volt battery won't last very long either. Best to build a wall wart into the unit to be powered externally. There are billions of ways to do this. The same circuit could be used to turn on the ship with a PNP, or NPN transistor. A 555 timer circuit could be used for flashing lights, with capacitor and resistors values to change the rate of flashing. Here's one of the most simple circuits I've seen. You attach an eletrect or condenser mic to it, or 555 timer, for controlled blinking. LEDs working in parallel can run many lights, as voltage stays the same in parallel. The more lights, the more current drawn, as though the Voltage stays the same, the amount of current drawn increases with added lights. No way to cheat "Ohm's Law". :)

LED Frequency response.png

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The LM386 chip makes a good audio amp, 5Watts @ 8 ohms. It also can change the impedance and be used to make a circuit to plug your electric guitar and impedance match it with a standard Line Level stereo receiver. It has a 20 - 20k hz. response too. VR1 is a 10K ohm potentiometer for volume control.

LM386-mini-audio-amplifier-circuit.jpg

Reactions: mijob

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have a bag of LM386 chips, probably 30 or so (somewhere in my barn. I used to make impedance matching boxes with 1/4" plug in and standard RCA jack in/out, so you could plug an electric amp into a stereo receiver without blowing the input, and that channel. I had switches (it was set up as two independent parallel channels, to use the RCA inputs, and attach speakers to terminals, so any portable CD player could be plugged in, and you would get 5 watts of sound out each channel. It doesn't sound like much power, but with a very efficient set of speakers, it really made for a nice Volume control only amp, and was more than enough for a table sound system for studying. I made a very clean 13.8 Volt peak power supply for it, and with that clean power supply, there was no distortion. LM386 and 555 timer chips are fun to work with and very cheap. ;)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I had a little fuzz box about the size of a box of cigarettes, a little bigger, 9volt. I carted it around for my electric guitar but I didn't make it. I loved that thing.

Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The kits they have for "Fuzz" boxes and other distortion boxes are so cheap, and there are so many free schematics out there. The only thing is you can get pre-made stuff so cheap, and all in one unit, it doesn't warrant the time and effort, but it is fun. I have a electronic box (suitcase) that generates since, square, and other frequencies, has built in power supply rails, and a huge bread box, all which are powered. I've made many circuits on that aluminum case.

It was the first thing we had to build in electronics school. Mine came out perfect the first time around, I ended up being the teachers assistance, helping the other students. They were a real good bunch of guys, and all appreciated the help. Mostly, it was people using too much solder and ending up with cold connections. One kid had around 3/8ths of an inch solder on every connection, I still don't know how he could build that much up. The teacher was sometimes a jerk, and just thought the kid was screwing around, after I showed him how to use a solder sucker, we cleaned the box up, and it looked and worked perfectly.

I opened my audio/TV repair shop 6 months into the 1.5 year course. The school backed me all the way, and the State of Connecticut issued me a V1 license, as the whole electronics repair system of training had broken down. I ended up, after 6 months, I had purchased a better O'scope than the school had. I ended up going to school only twice a week, as I had so much work, I could not afford to waste time there. My immediate teacher had just retired his shop, and was teaching, to do something. He had a repair shop for 30 years, boy did he help me out a lot.

I was given my diploma, even though I was hardly ever there, but every time I showed up, they were so far behind me, I ended up teaching classes on how to get a T.V. back to basic operating condition and then hunt down the problems. I specialized in Sony Camcorders, and Sony T.V's, Mitsubishi too, as they were the best units, and in the town I lived, that's all people purchased. Sony approached me about becoming a certified repair center, and when they told me how much they would give me for each repair, I declined, I made twice that amount, easily, and Sony wanted to charge full retail on the repair, they just wanted a bigger slice of my pie! Audio repair was where the big money was. That upscale town had some real audoiophiles, and they wanted the amp they paid $10K for fixed, and I whacked them too! Never had an unhappy customer. I re-coned speakers too, lots of Bang and Olufsen speakers, and nobody does that anymore. B&O speakers are beautiful, insanely expensive speakers. :)