LCU-1600 Class Plans

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Does anyone have or know where I can get/buy plans/blueprints for a Landing Craft Utility 1600 class?

I've scoured the internet and all I have found are some GIF files and a couple of JPG files that are worthless. Googled didn't even find anyone selling plans of LCU.

With barry's Tarawa I figured I would try my hand at designing a LCU.

Thanks guys

john

alaimo@jcu.edu

I need a Pin up girl. . .
Apr 18, 2007
I live in cleveland and the uss cod is here, I believe that they have that model on display too. When I get a chance I will call and ask...no promisses tho. . .(FYI the rerason why I can't do it now is I am at work. I am fixing pc's so while stuff loads and i do scans i can get to this site...no phone in here now tho. . .)

I checked the google maps of the USS COD, and to her left, there are 3 landing craft..in the pic. Can you tell if these are what you want from the sat foto? If so, they should have your plans. . .
View attachment 12517

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
:( RATS! All three look like they are LCM Landing Craft Mechanical.

Yeah I've found all kinds except the LCU-1600 Class................ Even found plans for LCU-1466 Class, but they are not even close to the same:(

Thanks guys.

john

michik

Jun 9, 2004

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Thanks Michi!

In all the searching I did I did not find out that the Barbe class was a re-designed LCU-1600. This is probably going to be the best way I can go.

Was hoping I could do it from scratch so I could share but............. Que sera sera!

john

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Well the Barbe is close, but still different.............. and postage from The Continent is a little much.............. so I'm still looking.

I never thought it would be this hard to find plans:(

john

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Thanks Tim..................... but no LCU-1600 class. They have an LCU-1466 Class set of plans but there is too much difference in the boats.

LCU-1466 was a re-designed WWII model. 1600 class was designed and built in the 1970's

I'm still looking.

john

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Found that too! I have thought about asking where they got their plans, but I really don't think they would share, since they are trying to pay off the national debt with just a few models:eek:ops:

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Thanks Jim.................. believe it or not. That's the best so far:cry:

I can not believe how little is available about a boat that is so darn important that they are still in use 30+ years after they were built.

So people complain about government waste........... heck these have lasted 10+ years longer than originally intended............. and heck.......... don't even talk about the B-52:eek:ops:

I've emailed a couple of ship plan places............ maybe I'll get lucky.

john

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Thanks blaze............... some more pieces to the puzzle. We keep this up we just might becomes experts on the class. Still can not believe how little GOOD info there is on this boat.

john

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
On a slightly different note, anyone running google earth might like to have a look at 53°24'17.03"N 3° 1'53.36"W . This is LCT7074, one of the last (if not THE last!) surviving LCTs used during the Normandy landings. The previous owners went into liquidation, so I am not sure what her current state is; the possibility that she was to be scrapped was high.... Surely a prime candidate for National Lottery money for restoration? But no, sadly that money is apparently for supporting Lesbian Guinea Pig farmers in Peru.... (You think I made that up, don't you?! Think again....)

Tim