Layout lighting

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
This is a subject I realley havent seen talked about much. My layout does not have enough lighting and I want to have more but I was thinking what type of lighting is bet. Florescent, incancesent, halogen. what do you use? What are your thoughts?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I use fluorescent lights over my layout, mainly because they give the most light per watt. Halogens and regular incandescent bulbs will both add heat to your layout room, although the warm colour is appealing. The main drawback to fluorescents is the colour of the light. I use Cool White tubes, a bit on the stark side, but the most lumens per watt. There are many other types of tubes: Warm White is a bit nicer colour, but not as bright. There are also colour-balanced tubes which give a very good rendition of daylight, although, again, at a loss of lumens. They also cost more than regular tubes. The other drawback to fluorescents is the fact that the light is very flat: not much shadow, so not much highlighting of details.
Here's a link to a recent thread in the Photography Forum here on the Gauge. It was started by a good friend of mine, but all of the pictures are taken on my layout. Check it out and see what you think about the lighting. There are even a couple of pictures where the overhead lighting is visible in the frame. :eek:ops:

something new on the eg&e

Wayne

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I use twisty fluoresent bulbs in reflectors to give a directional aspect to the lighting
obj21geo21pg1p33.jpg

The lighting system under construction. I have a web article at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/4x8/lighting/

Thank you if you visit
Harold