Launch when ready!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you, Carl! I'm glad you found this one. I should have use a more direct title for the thread such as "Colonial Viper development project" but I thought that would sound a bit too traditional. I'll be making the same when Im tackling the half studio scale Galactica. So watch out for something called, "There are those who believe..." ;)

I started this thread long time ago but life, health and job ate up much of my time which slowed everything down. However, I always finish what I begin. It may take some time but it will be finished. I have several other threads on Buck Rogers and Galactica props and vehicles here which will be tackled one at a time. Among them are the Turbobike from "Galactica 1980" (aka Turbine aka Landprobe) which was supposed to be featured in the old series, the cargo sled / belly bomber from Buck and the concept Viper bomber by Andy Probert. I hope to finish the latter soon, too. ;)

Last edited:

SURFDUKE2001

Kartonmodellbauer
I will lurk with much eagerness! BTW I forgot all about the motorcycles from the 1980 mini series awesome idea!

Are you using blender? I have Blender, 3DStudio, and several other open source 3D programs. I use them professionally but not for this hobby. If you need any assistance let me know I'm very well versed in many vector based programs and always willing to lend a hand if needed.

Great work!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
DSCF6310.JPG

The blueprints show some additional plates or clamps on the rear landing gear struts. I'll need some more time to figure out their shape and attachment. I'll skip them for the time being but hope to include them on the larger ones. The 1:18 will be interesting since it will have all the tubes! :hammerhead:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
tenor.png

Whoops, wrong franchise - ah, what the heck, it fits here! :Grin:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would have left the first row engine intake vane the same size
Looking at the parts I think the builder could indeed use a second print of the side intakes to replace the "cut off" high engine intake. There is already a hole in the fuselage behind the cockpit, so it shouldn't be difficult to install a "whole" intake there. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This illustrates why I love paper/cardstock model building so very much.

This is a very easy and inexpensive fix. Not only that, but there are a few ways to fix it.
  1. Print the part on standard printer paper and laminate it over the existing part
  2. Print the part on cardstock and laminate it over the existing part.
  3. CAREFULLY remove the original part and replace it with the right one.
  4. Start the whole build all over again.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you look closely at the last picture you notice a gap between the undercarriage and the engine tube. This gap is closed with a separate paper strip:

DSCF6294.jpg

DSCF6307.jpg

DSCF6309.jpg

The thickness of the laminated card holds the strip in place. Everything looks nice and clean now. :)

A "small" addition to the front LG:

DSCF6281.jpg

DSCF6283.jpg

DSCF6284.jpg

These are the front lights you see during the landing:

7eac315d41a77856ef2877985f692a98.jpg

They are not seen always so I came up with a swiveling light housing. This is the lights off config:

lg2.jpg

Unfortunately the light housing does not swivel here, the builder has to decide which config he / she wants to make. I'll see to it that the 1:18 comes with a swivel.

The twin lights were simply copied from the Landram and squeezed together to make them fit. Speaking about the Landram, a new exciting recolour is coming soon, BTW. Stay tuned for updates! ;)

The splash screens of the LGs consists of thin paper strips which are edge-glued to the LGs:

DSCF6287.jpg

DSCF6288.jpg

DSCF6289.jpg

They do look really good at this scale! :)

And following the path of the original Viper creators I came up with a handy tool: The Viper wing calibrator.

DSCF6297.jpg

DSCF6298.jpg

DSCF6299.jpg

DSCF6300.jpg

This is used to correctly attach the wings. You hold the straight side against the fuselage and align the wing with the angled side. :)

I'm now making the repairs and try a new texture for the back part of the guns. CU! :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
apogee-viper-14.jpg

This is the wing calibrator used on the original miniatures. My version follows the same principle but it is designed to adjust only one wing at a time to save paper and card. Of course you may add the other side by printing it twice and gluing the two together but it really isn't necessary. :)

Last edited: