Large Star Wars Freighters (for the XW Miniatures Game)

Millenniumfalsehood

I decided to take a break from doing the paper model development and start actually building one of these suckers, so here's my finished BFF-1 Bulk Freighter:

009_zps7418a68b.jpg

010_zpsa20b5ae2.jpg

Here it is compared to some of the X-Wing Miniatures:

008_zpsd23100e4.jpg

And here's a pic of the base that I created for it. I'll be using it as a template for a base kit that you can use with your freighter model:

011_zpse267f2a5.jpg

William1105

That looks awesome!

I'm behind on many many projects and haven't started building any of them yet, but hope to soon. Did you need to do much to reinforce the structure internally?

Millenniumfalsehood

It wasn't a requirement for the main hull, but I did it anyway because, as a miniature, it would be handled quite a bit and I didn't want to have to stop and pop out a panel that had sunken in because I grabbed it in the wrong spot. You will need to seriously reinforce the connections between the cargo containers and the hull, though.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The Freighter looks GREAT!
I like the photo with the smaller ships along side to show the scale.
It looks like a GREEBLER could easily have LOADS of fun with this model.

William1105

I've got lots of foam board lying around, so I figured I'd be doing a lot of strengthening for those containers...

From all the other threads about enhancing and layering paper models, I'll probably be doing some of that too....despite how awesome they look as is though, I'm also considering doing a couple painted by hand....I may be crazy though...

Millennium Falsehood: Fantastic work, my friend! I've followed your work, on other sites, most especially over @ Starship Modeler. I always enjoyed your scratchbuilds, and kitbashes. I find them inspiring, and instructive. Hope your higher education is proceeding well. Your computer graphics prowess has most definitely improved, to the benefit of all. I'm blaming YOU primarily, for my acquisition of an old MPC 'Falcon....so I can go through it, and redetail it, and customize it. You did such an amazing job, with your "Millennium Falsehood" model... one of the best kitbashes I've ever seen done. I look forward to seeing many more examples of your skill and talent.

Scratchawan Learner

Millenniumfalsehood

Hey dude! Great to see you in this neck of the woods! :mrgreen:

I gotta stress that the model and textures are not mine; I got them from the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade site and just unfolded them into scale models for the XWM game. But I'm glad you like my work. :)

That YT-1300 was definitely a labor of love, and I'd love to do another one sometime. I just need to fix my airbrush so I'll have motivation; after all, what's the point of working hard on a scratchbuild if I won't be able to paint it later? :wink:

I've got lots of foam board lying around, so I figured I'd be doing a lot of strengthening for those containers......

The containers are surprisingly sturdy as-is, actually. If you just build them out of standard 110 lb card, they'll hold up very well due to the geometry of the caps and the fact that I put in a couple of formers. Even the main hull is fairly strong without heavy cardboard reinforcement. The only areas that truly need it are the connectors between the hull and the cargo containers, and incidentally if you put too much weight in the containers by thickening the skin, they will be more likely to sag in the future.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Geez M.Falsehood, how many hours in your days?!? :)

Millenniumfalsehood

Lol, depends on the day. ;) It helps immensely that I don't play video games that often, nor do I waste much time with television other than keeping it on for background noise during modeling and other hobbies.

I am currently working on the Modular Conveyor model. I'm actually building it this time to see what errors crop up (and quite a few have so far). I think though that I can afford to release the model before I finish building it. I'll build the engines tonight and see if any parts give me fits, then if it passes I'll submit it to be uploaded to the Downloads section. :thumb:

Millenniumfalsehood

Well looky here, I finished another one! :D

This is the Modular Conveyor. I actually included three turbolaser turrets in this model, but as you can see it looks fine without them. I'll probably build them later, but I wanted to get you guys some pics of it. The model will be in the Downloads section shortly.

DSCN5556_zpse475b50b.jpg

DSCN5557_zps78e4458f.jpg

DSCN5558_zpsd8343e4a.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That's a great model. I don't know how I missed this thread, but Thanks for letting us host this model. You being one of the "backbone" members knows how kind and giving of an act it is. This is a beauty! :)