LAPUTA / CASTLE IN THE SKY - scale 1/20

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Also changed the fingers on th eright hand in order to hold a bouquet of flowers.
Forgot to take photos during the building and painting process.
For the base I found a ceramic vase. I knew i wanted something conical for the base to fgive the impression of floating, never though i would find it in the sahep of a vase....
Filled the interior with foam and shaped . Then covered it with modeling clay Das Pronto.
The soil is a mix of real dirt sifted and strylised with coffee powder (I keep the coffee powder after brewing it, keep it flat to dry and then store in jars).
The static grass was applied with a Noch device.laputa-04.JPG laputa-05.JPG laputa-06.JPG laputa-07.JPG laputa-08.JPG

Attachments

• laputa-03.JPG
    laputa-03.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I may not be all too familiar with the "CASTLE IN THE SKY". However, you are doing a FANTASTIC JOB on this diorama!!!
I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Hi Rhaven Blaack, sorry to disappoint you, but this is "it".
I finished the vignette last December and just posted 15 photos as I wasn't regularly taking photos during assembly.
castle in the sky is a Hayo Miyazaki anime adaption of an excerpt of Gulliver's Travels.
I might have developed a little further in my blog
http://carlosfilipeplastic.blogspot.pt/2015/01/laputa-castle-in-sky-castelo-no-ar.html
I didn't mention it before as I feel a little awkward to post here advertise personnel blogs.
Thank you for your rewarding comments

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Do not feel bad about posting a link to your site. It is ok (so long as it is not a commercial site. Which yours is not, of course).
I like the realistic weathering and all that you have put on this project. The weathering really makes the whole thing really pop!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I really enjoyed "Castles in the Sky", it was a great. Laputa carries quite a different meaning in Spanish and we had a laugh with that. Fantastic movie, I own all of Miyazaki's movies, one of my better investments. :)

Reactions: carlos filipe

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Zathros, according to Wikipedia notes: "Laputa is a flying island described in the 1726 book Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. It is about 4.5 miles in diameter, with an adamantine base, which its inhabitants can maneuver in any direction using magnetic levitation." "Symbolism:
Lindalino's rebellion against Laputa is an allegory of Ireland's revolt against Great Britain, and Great Britain's (meaning the Whig government's) violent foreign and internal politics (see Jonathan Swift for his political career). The Laputans' absurd inventions mock the Royal Society.
As "la puta" means "the whore" (see Spanish profanity), some Spanish editions of "Gulliver's Travels" use "Lapuntu", "Laput", "Lapuda" and "Lupata" as bowdlerisations. It is likely, given Swift's brand of satire, that he was aware of the Spanish meaning. (Gulliver, himself, claimed Spanish among the many languages in which he was fluent.)"

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Carlos, why don't you put your personal Blog in your signature, in big letters, so people can see it. I have watched "Castles in the Sky, I think I mouth along with every word of the movie when I am watching it. I have everything Miyazaki made. :)