Kadee Whisker Couplers

diburning

Jul 2, 2008
I've noticed that in some coupler pockets, the Kadee Whisker couplers have the whiskers sticking way out. Is it a good idea to trim the whiskers down?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If they are sticking way out, I'd agree with Dick - there's something not right. I have also come across coupler pockets that are a little too short - the standard Kadee centering spring will protrude very slighty. If this is the case with the whisker couplers, I would say it's more trouble than it is worth to modify the pocket, so you could live with it as is.

Bottom line - is the coupler working properly? No drooping, able to move freely side to side and centre itself?

Andrew

diburning

Jul 2, 2008
The coupler is working, it's not drooping and it is centering itself... sort of. The whiskers don't seem to be doing a good job of centering the coupler although it does work and can move side to side.

I'm primarily using them in athearn blue box engines with the clip.

I also have a bachmann spectrum 44 tonner that has really short coupler pockets (the plastic whisker coupler it came with has the whiskers sticking really far out. )

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If the whiskers are sticking out of the coupler box, the part sticking out of the box is doing nothing to center the coupler. I don't see where it would make any difference to trim the part that sticks out of the box, just don't trim it to the point that the ends are not at least flush with the end of the box. You should probably trim them so that they still stick out 1/16 of an inch or so.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Actually, if the whisker is sticking out too far, probably the coupler is too. ;):-D Kadee makes a wide assortment of coupler styles, with varying shank lengths, to suit almost any situation. While they may not be the whisker type, there is probably a better choice for your particular locomotive.

Wayne