June/July 07 "out of the ordinary" contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Yep, let's kick of the summer with something strange, something different something completely off the wall. We are all use to seeing common things on the rails and in pictures of the past. You expect to see a steam engine pulling a consist of box cars and a caboose, an F7 pulling some passenger cars or a diesel might be pulling some more modern cars like a enclosed auto carriers or even a string of double stack container cars. We expect to see a bunch of freight cars in a yard, or passenger cars stopped at a depot, but what if :idea:....... what if you saw something totally out of character, something you'd have to rub your eye and pinch yourself to be sure you're really seeing what you are? Let's take a picture of that and enter it here in this contest.

What the heck are we talking about here, pray tell?:confused: :confused: Well, as an example, just the other day I was down at the yard and saw them using elephants in place of switch engines..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Then there was the time I could swear that I saw the Three Stooges pushing a passenger consist up a grade.stooges8 If I only took a few pictures, you'd believe me...:v8: Those are only two examples, I'm sure you can think of some other ones on your own.

Here's the deal:
  • Enter a picture in this thread of something to do with railroading that is not normal, something you'd never see in real life.
  • You've got total liberties here of setting something up on a layout or even taking something from real life and doing a bit of "computer magic" on it. The results can be funny, weird or just plan unusual or unexpected.
  • You have to be the one taking the picture, but it doesn't have to be on your own layout and it doesn't have to have a train in the picture either, just railroad related.
  • The contest will close on July 31, giving everyone plenty of time to set something up.
  • All the other usual rules apply, like one picture per entry.
  • announce1 announce1 If you feel really creative, we will allow you to enter this contest twice:eek: :eek: with two different subjects, giving you two shots at the top prize....:cool: :cool:
The prizes will be the same as always, a bunch of attaboys for the top three winners, and when we get the Gallery working right, I'll move the winner's pictures in the "winners circle".:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ezdays

Out AZ way
OK, so we have a bunch of cowards here eh???:rolleyes: No one wants to be first this time, is that what you're telling me?:mrgreen: You got good ideas, but you don't want to be first. Well I'll break the ice and post first.:wave: :wave:

This here's one of the more unlikely consists you'll ever see.... I would think anyway. An 1800's 4-4-0 pulling a period passenger car is not unusual, but gee, how did a modern enclosed auto carrier and an Intermodal double-stack container car get in there?

Attachments

• Unusual consist.jpg
    Unusual consist.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 26

Smoke

SOU is for you!!
Here you go. A sd70MAC and a SD90MAC with a watertower and a 20's car in the backround. OH, and did I mention the stockyards?
img6380bt5.jpg

davidstrains

Thought I would try one. Here is a consist that you probably won't see anywhere else but on the Gauge. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Attachments

• 040consist2.jpg
    040consist2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 19

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Motive power shortages cause the Division Superintendent to be creative. The guys in the paint shop insisted on going with the red P.

6-30-2007-03.jpg

UP SD40-2

THANK YOU!, Don & Ralph:smilie: .
when i am at dads i get a little impatient sometimes and just put a train together using "the hand of god":119: , dad gets a little ticked about it and says "you should ALWAYS switch the cars out":eeki: , i tell him "i am switching them out, I'm using the hand of god switching moves:toug: " . its a little joke between us:mrgreen: , thats where i got the idea:winki::119: .
:deano: -Deano

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
A Challenger all alone in a northeastern City, feeling outdated by the zippy Metroliner EMUs arriving at the adjacent station.

challengerandmetrolinerer9.jpg
Not only that, but Evil Kneivel is about to jump that bus off that overpass over soda can canyon... BACKWARDS!!!! He very well may break every plastic bone in his little body... again.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
With real estate for the model railroad at a premium in our house, I am forced to come up with new places for my trains. I can't figure out why things keep rusting though, and the electricty doesn't work too well either. Also, when I turn things on, all the fish go belly up! What's up with that? Boy, I'm gonna have a heck of a time applying and gluing the ballast.
test_pic_2.jpg

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Not only that, but Evil Kneivel is about to jump that bus off that overpass over soda can canyon... BACKWARDS!!!! He very well may break every plastic bone in his little body... again.

sign1sign1sign1

NICE! that is awesome! I think there is some product placement there though.

my railroad is a sponsored by cold refreshing mountain dew....

nice fish-trains! now you jsut need to reverse your hoppers so they dump the food pellets up!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
hmm. Seems like a good contest for a stiesel photo.

Kevin
Allright, I'll bite. Since the contest rules allow two entries for this month, here's my second entry.
This is one of them cab forward stiesels you don't see around too often! It's a 4-8-2 that was converted to burn oil.
Note: No engines were harmed for the creation of this picture.
DCP_6023_copy.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
TrainNut, that's ingenious! I'd think most of your locos would have to be U Boats though. :)
Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.