JLG759 Spring 07 KitBuild Challenge

jlg759

Hello I am new to this but will be building Weimer's Grist Mill by Branchline Trains.

Attachments

• weimers_mini.jpg
    weimers_mini.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 128

jlg759

JLG759 Spring 07 KitBuild Challenge Update

Well Guys here goes I have gathered some information and decided to give this kit a try. I will be painting the kit with craft style paints which I have never done. I will be updating more often now that I am getting started. I have been searching for painting ideas with the craft paints as wel as watching the Scott Mason DVD's

Attachments

• IMG_7236.JPG
    IMG_7236.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7237.JPG
    IMG_7237.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7238.JPG
    IMG_7238.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 75
craft paints

I've used craft paints on a laserkit before...a Trackside Jacks from Bar Mills. Anyway, Just watch out for warpage. I painted one side then hurriedly painted the other in an attempt to get it to curl back the other way! :eek: If you prime the parts this shouldn't be a problem.

Also, for a guy who has never used craft paints before, you sure have alot of them...

jlg759

JLG759 Spring 07 KitBuild Challenge Update 2

Well between last night and today I got the four walls assembled and the first and second floors in. This building is a little strange the way it goes together not much room for bracing I had a small amount of warp-age so I braced and held in place with a clothes pin. More photos soon. I also noticed I need to touch up the paint with a second coat.

Attachments

• IMG_7245.JPG
    IMG_7245.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7244.JPG
    IMG_7244.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7251.JPG
    IMG_7251.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 83

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Isn't it funny how things look fantastic to the naked eye and then you take pictures of them on post them here on The Gauge and all of a sudden all kinds of flaws jump out at you?!!
I hate that. In my challenge, I thought it was looking pretty good until I did just that. Now I can see all kinds of places I did not paint or should have... etc. etc. etc. Too late now for most of it. Looking good. I have a little wood kit similar to yours that I have not built yet and am watching yours with great interest.

stripes

Good start! Let me know your overall opinion of the kit when your done. Ease of building, good/bad instructions, etc...

David

jlg759

JLG759 Spring 07 KitBuild (I Hate Peel And Stick)

Well I have some more progress on my building. I added the peel and stick windows I really do not like them. I also tried my hand at painting the stone work. This was a first for me and I think it worked out OK. So far the kit has been fun to build with the exception of the windows Joe

Attachments

• IMG_7411.JPG
    IMG_7411.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7412.JPG
    IMG_7412.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7413.JPG
    IMG_7413.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7414.JPG
    IMG_7414.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 62
Are you changing the light setting between shots or are the walls really 4 different colors/shades (or is it just me?). Thank you for sharing your progress - the ups and downs together. Looking good!

jlg759

Galen -- The colors are the same I was trying some stuff with the lighting and it didn't work. I will most more shots later with my better lighting
David -- Thanks for your comments

jlg759

JLG759 Spring 07 KitBuild More Progress

Well here is a new update. Things are going well. I added the corner trim and the side deck. My wife added the peel and stick steps for me. She felt sorry for me getting mad.

Joe

Attachments

• Building progress.jpg
    Building progress.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 43
  • building progress2.jpg
    building progress2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 37
  • building progress 3.jpg
    building progress 3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 30

jlg759

JLG759 Spring 07 KitBuild update April 29

Got a little more work done including the decks and roof. I will do some painting on the roof. Next will be the water wheel. If you rad this let me know what you think? Thanks Joe

Attachments

• IMG_7978.JPG
    IMG_7978.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7980.JPG
    IMG_7980.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7981.JPG
    IMG_7981.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 34