Jedi ETA-2 by Paper-Replika

Satka

That is some fine papercrafting!

I do have this model in my "TOCRAFT" list, (it's even printed out) I'm impatient to see your build :)

vbsargent

@ Zathros- It actually took me a couple of weeks getting it to the right size, then reorganizing the pieces to pack as many as possible per page (I'm REAL stingy with my ink). I spent many hours measuring, copying, pasting, rotating, and erasing in Illustrator and Photoshop. I started with a master page divided into 8x10.5" pages (I added .25" gutters for margin) with all the individual pieces of the model. Then started arranging and cutting. That one file got to be 150 meg, so I started a second one with the cockpit pieces and a couple of the larger wing pieces. One of my challenges was the fact that I didn't know what target paper size was being used by Paper-Replika. The other obstacle was my outdated machine (it won't even work with our printer) but since I needed to work quickly, and only at home on my machine, I didn't feel that I had the time to get comfortable with GIMP (my wife's machine doesn't have Photoshop or Illustrator). I have all the files for the ~1/18 model, and would be more than happy to forward them on (with the author's permission of course). But . . . . I tried contacting Mr Perdana about some questions I had, but so far have received no response.

@Satka-Thank you! It is a bit challenging in that some of the directions (particularly in the cockpit build) are not very clear.

To all- Thank you for your encouragement! It really means a lot to me. This is really only my 3rd or 4th model (or 4th and 5th ;-)), so all the kind words are particularly helpful. There is more happening than it would seem from the lack of updates. I have been working diligently on the cockpit, and actually have pics on the camera, st have to find time to download them, re-size them, and post them . . . . maybe tonight:rolleyes:

May the farce be with you all! :p

Z

Zathros

I did a model ship called Lilla Weneda that was 8 pages, doubling the size brought it to 25 pages, I believe. It is a lot of work!

He is a member here, you could send him a P.M., look under Julescrafter. I am not sure which models he designs and which he hosts, so that can be an issue, it kind of opens a can of worms. I think your better just keeping it to yourself, or offering up the file to the original designer, and let them distribute them. :)

vbsargent

Quick Update!

So the "fire extinguishers" (that's what I call them anyways ;-) ) took an evening. Six hours to cut out, color edges, form, glue together and then mount on the port and starboard bulkheads.

Extinguishers1.jpg

Extinguishers2.jpg

Will post more photos including the completed seats in a couple of hours.

I feel a disturbance in the farce . . . . . as if millions of voices cried out and were suddenly silenced.

vbsargent

The seats. Wow . . . talk about some small fiddly bits.

Seatbase.jpg

The parts for the seat bases.

SeatBases3.jpg

The assembled seat bases. They are actually laminated 1 mm matte board.

SeatBases2.jpg

I decided not to roll paper for the seat handles as they are just too darned small. :curse:

SeatBases1.jpg

I actually put the base for the seat back on the smaller one. But it's upside on its back! :p

SeatBack.jpg

Seat back pieces . . . . . .

HeadRest.jpg

Note: the tan pieces on the smaller head rest are actually NOT in this picture, but the piece on the lower right corner shows just how small they were to cut out and edge paint. About 1/32 inch wide by just shy of 3/32 inch long. :eek:

SeatAssembly2.jpg

SeatAssembly1.jpg

Fully assembled cockpit seats. WHEW! As you can see, I omitted the seat belts, as they would be unneccesary parts that would just get destroyed with constant use of the cockpit. I may just go in and try to darken those peek-a-boo white spots . . . or maybe not. They aren't as noticeable when not enlarged several hundred percent.

GOOD NEWS: Almost done with the tiny bits!
BAD NEWS: The birthday party has been moved up to May 12. Serious concern if I will make that deadline or not. :confused:

The farce is strong with this one.

(original post edited to correct spelling mistake)

Z

Zathros

Geez, I call them that too, is there some other name people use? (fire extinguishers) :)

dnalor

yes, brandblussers :) (dutch version)

It looks great..
Can't wait to see the complete fighter.

Z

Zathros

I remember a Dutch girl saying to me, "that's quite the "brandblussers" you've got there! I did succeed in putting her fire out! :):p:twisted:

vbsargent

Ok, so I'm missing a few pics. They never got downloaded from the camera, So this will be a little out of order. I have finished the small cockpit, and am almost finished with the large cockpit.

Lots of fiddly pieces, lack of clarity in the directions, and some fit issues. All were resolved mostly successfully. :mrgreen:

cockpit1.jpg

The completed small cockpit. I had to trim off about 3/16 of an inch from the rear of the side consoles to get them to fit. There is water staining from the glue visible on the brown arm rests, but since it is supposed to be a very well used fighter craft, I am not concerned. It adds a bit of verisimilitude to the cockpit. I may even add a bit of scuffing to the deck plating in front of where the pedals will be.

cockpit2.jpg

Front view-head on of the small cockpit. Not the best photos- depth of field is a bear at this scale when not using my good camera. But it does give you an idea of the level of detail.

cockpit3.jpg

As above, but slightly different focus arrangement.

cockpit4.jpg

And with a ruler to establish scale. You are seeing that right. That is one and a half inches from side to side.

rightconsolelg.jpg

The large cockpit's right hand console, half finished.

pic1-2.jpg
pic2-2.jpg
pic3-2.jpg
pic4-2.jpg
pic5-2.jpg
pic6-2.jpg
pic7-2.jpg
pic8-1.jpg

Poor R2 . . . . . he just doesn't get the respect he deserves from those nasty clones. Where is Anakin during all this?! He must be off "secretly" getting married. :eek:

I feel a disturbance in the farce.

dnalor

This looks great..
He wasn't on my todo list but i think he should be...
I wait a little...to see how it comes to life..
But untill now it looks great!.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You are doing an OUTSTANDING job on this model. The amount of detail that you are putting into this, is AMAZING.

Keep up the GREAT work.

I like the "animation" that you have added. It does make this thread quite fun indeed.

vbsargent

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. High praise indeed from such talented builders.

I have a reprieve! The wife and mother-in-law have moved the party to the 26th! I just may get these done in time after all.

@Rhaven Blaack- I really can't take credit for the detail, it was all in the model. I am only following the instructions to the best of my abilities. There are a number of "interesting" things with the cockpit. on the original scale model I had to shorten the side console pieces by about 3/16 of an inch. And the seat sides/arm rests only had 2 tiny detail pieces for the cutout, so I ended up laminating 3 pieces of 2mm card together. Cutting through those layers at that size was a pain in the rear! Also the curved brown side console pieces were way too short so I cannibalized the unused seat belts to make appropriate pieces.

vbsargent

Time for an update.

I work at a job with a very slow workflow. The reality is that I only have about 30 to 40 minutes of actual work in any given day. I literally sit and wait for the phone to ring, then transfer the caller to another number, or provide them with a number when requested. And since I work a 4-midnight shift, it's not terribly busy. My bosses know this and actively encourage me to find things to keep me busy (I was told by my boss's boss "Read a book or surf the internet!"). About the only thing we can't do is sleep. So I get most of by building done at work.

Missing build pics:

Side console pieces
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
consolepieces2.jpg

Finished large right console with weathering.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
finishedconsole1.jpg
wol_error.gif
finishedconsole2.jpg
wol_error.gif
finishedconsole3.jpg

Test fitting with the large tub, deck, rear bulkhead, and chair assembly.
wol_error.gif
testfit3.jpg
wol_error.gif
testfit2.jpg

And a detail shot showing a targeting/scanning device.

wol_error.gif
testfit1.jpg

Now I'm going to back up a bit here and try to point out some of the challenges one might encounter when working on this build.

There is no clear indication how far forward or backward in the "tub" to place the cockpit deck and rear bulkhead. I went with aligning the indicated console outlines with the front of the "tub." (visible on the deck to the pilots left side in this photo)
testfit3.jpg

This shows a test fit of the large cockpit. Also, though you cannot see it from my photos the rear bulkhead has a support triangle protruding straight back from the middle of the rear bulkhead. In order to fit the deck in, I found it necessary to trim the support down in all mock ups that I completed.

Pic1-11.jpg

It is also not clearly indicated which of the 2 indicated cutout notches indicated above should align with the top of the tub. In the smaller model I used the bottom notch, while in the larger model it seems to fall in line with the top one.

SeatBases1.jpg

The instructions are very unclear regarding the semi rectangular piece seen to the rear of the seat bottoms. In the instructions it appears a uniform dark grey. I found it helpful to print the instructions as a photo, AND have them displayed on the monitor from the website. The website uses red lines to indicate part numbers which can end up being more helpful than the included instructions.

Seatsides.jpg

These are the pieces for the seat side/armrests. You will notice that there is a long strip with a control panel detail that goes around the outside of the piece. There are only the four small rectangular pieces to fill both the inside cutouts. These, I believe are meant for detail pieces for the missing inside piece. I got around this by laminating the armrests. As seen below.

testfit2.jpg

This picture also shows the curved "leather" elbow rest on the side console that had to be created as the one included in the model is way too short.

On the small cockpit pictured below I had to shorten both consoles by about 3/16"
cockpit1.jpg

I also ran a supporting piece around the entire upper area of the rear bulkhead and side bulkheads. One final bit, as a beginner I was a bit lost/befuddled at the lack of any glue tabs etc in the cockpit pieces, but I have to say that am not surprised that it does tend to make a much cleaner product.

That is all that I can think of for now.

HE will bring balance to the farce.

Z

Zathros

-If you just heard a thump, it was my jaw hitting the floor. That is one beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Very inspiring!! Great job!!:thumb:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is really turning out to be a BEAUTIFUL piece of work.

You are one lucky guy, being able to work on your model at work like that.

Keep up the GREAT work.

vbsargent

@Rhaven Blaack- Thank you, I am trying to be as clean and precise as possible. It's not as crisp as I would have liked, but I am very pleased with it so far. The job does have its perks. On the other hand I only get to really see my wife on the weekends. I miss out on eating dinner with the family and the night time routines. Everyone is always asleep when I get home and all the lights are usually off. Did I mention that I only see my wife when she's sleeping and on the weekends?

Anyway- update!

Finished the "hero" cockpit! And I apologize in advance for the pictures that display sideways. I haven't had the problem before, so I'm not too sure why it's happening now.

HeroCockpit2.jpg

Hero cockpit . . .

HeroCockpit1.jpg

and again . . .

seatback2.jpg
seatback3.jpg

Seat back . . .

HeroCockpit3.jpg
HeroCockpit4.jpg

Deck detailing, showing scuffing and "wearing" of the "interior" paint.

leeftconsole.jpg

Left console showing wear and tear.

leftconsole2.jpg

More . . .

rightconsole.jpg

Right console and deck showing wear and tear.

rightconsole2.jpg

and again . . .

More to come . . .