It's been a while........!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Hi there!

I bumped into @Rhaven Blaack on a social media platform recently, that motivated me to stick my head in here and say "Hi!" after a very long absence......! :)

I have been completely out of the hobby the last few years, for various reasons which I won't go into detail of here.... ;)

I have moved to and between three different countries in the last 2 years. I left my job of 13 years in the Netherlands and moved to the Algarve in southern Portugal.
I received a phone call in the middle of last year, related to my fathers health and a decision was made to leave Portugal and go to my land of birth in England.
With the passing of my father at the exact same time that the Covid-19 shit started, the year did not get off to a good start. However my old boss head-hunted me while I was in England, and made me a very lucrative offer to return to work there.. So, back in July this year, I returned to the Netherlands, where I am now living in the city of Haarlem. A very beautiful place with a lot of ancient history. Info here for those interested --> Haarlem

Apart from myself doing a little globe-trotting, (disc surfing, for the Flat-Earthers,) I was accompanied by my faithful cat IMG-20201205-WA0002.jpeg and my paper model collection.
Before I left the Netherlands, I made custom transport boxes from 10mm thick foamboard, which protected the models very well. Most of the models survived without damage. Some didn't......:(

The models are now safely in a display case, some awaiting repair........
Below are a few pics, including some observations.....

• My lion mosaic portrait survived undamaged ...... Made out of gold metallic faced card ...

20201220_120946.jpg

• The frost dragon however took a lot of damage.... The damage occurred, not on the journeys, but just after I moved into my new home. The dragon was stored in an open box on top of the display case, which my cat decided at 3am one morning to get into. The box, containing the dragon and the cat, fell from the top of the display case and crashed to the ground.... It was not a pleasant way to wake up...... :realmad: In the pic you can also see the Monolith and Mr. HAL, also the antenna unit from the Discovery.
20201220_121102.jpg

Station V is unfinished, undamaged and still in its transport case. I will be posting a full build thread of it in the near future..

20201220_121203.jpg

• Moving on to the next shelf...... The Discovery was designed to be taken apart into sections for transport. Here you can see the command module which has a little warping of the neck and the engine module, plus the Orion, (missing it's stand,) and the still unfinished uhu Viper. Discovery is waiting to have its display case fitted into place in my lounge.
20201220_121112.jpg

• The Mad Max series of cars are next. Also the near completed uhu Space Pod. Also note, the only surviving remnants of the disastrous outcome of the Hunter Killer project from long ago, the engines.
20201220_121043.jpg

• And lastly, a project I have been tinkering with for a few years now, Paper-Replika's 1,4m tall Optimus Prime. Due to the sheer size of the model, it took an extensive amount of damage. But, I'll fix it over time.... Optimus Prime vehicle mode, ie, the Peterbuilt truck, is also under construction and damaged, to be seen lower left.
20201220_121055.jpg

Well, that's it for my quick 'Hello.'
I will do my best to start contributing here again in the near future. I have noticed a lot of changes here, but the world is full of change, so that is to be expected.

Take care one and all, and do your best to make the most of Christmas and the New Year in these troubled times.

Dan. :wave:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
DAN, THANK GOODNESS YOU ARE STILL ALIVE!

:King::King::King::King::King::King::King::King::King:

You have been sorely missed here. I have tried hard no to give the "King icon" to anyone else but you but on some occasion I simply had to use it. ;)

It is great to know that you are still around. I'm very sorry for the loss of your father. And C-19 - yeah, life can be :explode:...

Your post is like a bright light in these dark times. It seems that you have taken quite a journey in the last few years. Congrats on your new job!

Too bad your cat was so eager to jump into the dragon's "nest". Ah well. At least we now know who the natural foe of the frost dragon is! :Grin:(I know, for this joke I'll be getting a good whipping from da Piet someday! :noteeth::noteeth::noteeth: )

I hope you will be able to return to building again (the 1/48 Viper Mk I is finished and ready for download, BTW! - nudge, nudge - ;) ). I'm slowly but consistently finishing all the projects I have begun, so there will be a few nice surprises in 2021.

Meanwhile, take care and stay healthy. Kind regards to you, your family and friends. May you all have a happy Christmas and - next year can only be better than this! :)

Marcell :Drinks::Drinks::Drinks:

Last edited:
Reactions: micahrogers

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Welcome back Dan! You have been missed on here, and I for one, am very happy that you are back.

Reactions: DanBKing

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Dan,

Welcome back to Zealot. You were sorely missed. It is a pleasure seeing you back here.

I am very sorry for your loss of your father!

I fully understand how real life issues can take you away from things like hobbies and other such.

As for moving, I know the feeling. When I was in Eastern Europe (for roughly eight years), I too moved to different countries, due to work and such. It can take a toll on you. I am glad that you were able to bring your models with you (even though some were damaged).

Once again, welcome back! I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful work!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It's really great to hear from you. You're a man of the world!! :)