Interesting diesel lineup in Seattle

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Just drove past the southern tip of the yard leading to the docks here in Seattle and saw an older Santa Fe GP-unit in the yellow/blue warbonnet scheme hooked to a BNSF newer EMD?? unit, hooked to a Norfolk Southern SD?? unit. Sorry I didn't catch each type of diesel - I'm still learning to recognize them quickly by sight - but I didn't know that BNSF had any blue/yellow units left unpainted...and I thought it strange that a NS would find be found way up in the pacific northwest.

On the side of the older Santa Fe unit was written "RADIO CONTROLLED EQUIPT". Does that mean that the diesel can be run without anyone in the cab?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Actually, its probably a repaint.
When I was in Pheonix last August, I saw a BNSF GP-30(Yep...It was a -30), in Santa Fe blue/ yellow warbonnet scheme. Looked like it had just come out of the paint shop.
Also...It might look strange, seeing an Eastern road out west, But we even get BNSF, and UP units out here on the right coast also.

lionelfan

Nov 3, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I see BNSF and UP units in Berea Ohio on a regular basis on both NS and CSX. Something I have been trying to photograph lately is the number of rail cars in older paint schemes such as Southern and Norfolk Western etc. Last night I saw a Frisco hopper car in coal train on CSX.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
my son, who now works there in the Seattle yards, tells me that BNSF has leased power from almost everywhere. So you are likely to see just about anything lashed together whereever BNSF rolls:wave:

Relic said:
I've seen NS units here in ...are you ready? NS in a lashup with CN diesels Y'know that's Nova scotia right?

Hey,
I've probably asked you this before, but where in Nova Scotia are you?
Since we're on the subject...
In Fairview Yard, in Halifax, outside power is pretty common. Just off the top of my head, without looking back at my notes, i've seen CSX, BNSF, NS, BCRail, WC, IC, CP and SF in Halifax in the past year, in many different schemes, on many different locomotives.

AR

KATY

Jul 30, 2005
Liberty, MO
Yes, many yard switchers are remote controlled from a 2 person crew on the ground. NO ONE is in the engine(s). Biggest model railroad going!

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
Here in Texas just north of the BNSF Alliance yard, I still see 40% units in the blue/yellow warbonnet scheme. Almost all of them have been re-stenciled on the cab with BNSF and new #'s. I see NS engines in lash-ups at least once a week. I don't see many BN green engines, no air conditioning I believe. I also see the NS units on the KCS trains that run through to the Alliance yard from Dallas. UP also runs through this area on the former MKT tracks, but they mostly have UP and SP units, with an occasional CSX thrown in.

mrtazvan

MrTazVan
Aug 31, 2010
Ky.
In Chicago, The U.S.Steel Company used to operate radio controled locomotives in the south works plant, to move molten ore cars, & the operators followed on foot