Industrial switching

SD90

I've been working on an industrial switching job for the last week, and I have to say, it has made me want to put more industries on my layout! There is so much to do, and most of the time, we are running 2 engines, 5 - 10 cars and a caboose! One day, we had 2 GP9's, a box car, a tank car and a caboose, it looked like a cheap train set! It's great switching out one box car or one tank car at a time! There is about 100 industrial spurs on the line I've been working on, most of them don't get used very much, but it is still very cool being up there. The track is anything but straight and level too, and very overgrown with long grass and weeds, I would like to replicate that.
Let's see pictures of the industries on your layouts!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
This is great SD90! Your hobby art will imitate life! :thumb: Nice to hear about prototypic small train switching since most of us probably can only run smaller trains on our layouts.

Here is a not so great image of a factory on my layout (needs window glazing, a little ground cover at the base, etc.) that receives freight cars on both sides with a maximum occupancy of five cars. During operations I have to be mindful of which loading dock cars are supposed to be set on.

Attachments

• vandelay.jpg
    vandelay.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 477

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
One more...this is an aggregate plant that can serve up to four open hoppers.

Attachments

• aggregate.jpg
    aggregate.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 468

Jon Grant

No layout yet, but it will be an industrial switching layout. Here's one of the industries.

aac.sized.jpg

Jon

SD90

Great work everyone! Industrial areas really keep a switching crew busy at an op sesssion, let's see more!

rockislandmike

This seems appropriate here; took the pic while out railfanning tonight west of the city. There's a small spur here, with room for maximum two cars. Directly above this car is a crane which can load/unload cargo from railcars to trailers (I took a pic of the crane too if anyone's interested). Would hardly take any room at all (the facility itself is across a gravel parking lot and road).

transformer.jpg