Indianapolis International Airport in 1:400

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
When I need some corrugated card I also harvest the deliveries we get at work. I once made a GREAT score on it when we got new furniture. Each chair came with two 25x35 cm corrugated card protectors. I was in heaven and took two full bags with me. That was at the time when I made the Cylon sword but I still have some of it standing by. I use it for making bases like the one for the Sandcrawler. My colleagues know that I'm after cardboard but it still freaks them out when they see me sniffing on it to decide if it meets my demands ( #cardboardsniffer ;) ). But hey, I don't want my models to smell like rotten eggs later! :D
I can just see it now:

Schoolmaster: Herr and Frau von dem Berge, you son Marcell has bacome obsessed with collecting cardboard!
Frau von dem Berge: Oh my!
Schoolmaster: I also must inform you that he also sniffs it!
Herr von dem Berge: My son... my son Marcell would never do such a thing!
Schoolmaster: But, Herr, we have eyewitnesses... and video evidence...
Frau von dem Berge: Herr Schoolmaster! You must do something!
Herr von dem Berge: What can be done for my son?
Schoolmaster: We must... as unfortunate as it may be... send him to Zealot!!! That is the only treatment!
Frau von dem Berge: *GASPS and FAINTS*
Herr von dem Berge *CLUTCHES CHEST and FALLS INTO CHAIR*
Schoolmaster: *SHAKING* Fraulein Secretary... call... *GULPS* ...Mr. Zathros. Quickly!!!

IndyJets

Jan 2, 2022
I've turned my attention once again to the back side of the main terminal... the area between concourses C and D appears to be the operational "nerve center". Loading docks, maintenance shops, vehicle garages, and the like. Lots of complexity here, and not often photographed as it doesn't form a photogenic backdrop to the planes on the ramp.in progress 22.jpg

IndyJets

Jan 2, 2022
And now for a concourse! This is Concourse A, which housed TWA and Eastern in the heyday, and Northwest's "focus city" operation at the end. There is no need to model the jetways at this stage, as those will be based on a ready-made design and installed at the time of construction.
in progress 23.jpg

IND_19851000_N31108_01.jpg

Attachments

• in progress 23.jpg
    in progress 23.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

IndyJets

Jan 2, 2022
Another concourse completed! This is Concourse D which was built a few years after A, and shares common architectural features. This housed a "mini-hub" operation for Allegheny, later USAir. This model will depict modifications made in the mid-1980s to expand the facility to 10 gates.
in progress 24.jpg

IndyJets

Jan 2, 2022
Here we have the beginnings of the portions of the terminal which were constructed in 1987. This is the central section of the landside which will connect to concourses B and C, and will feature a 7-sided observation deck on top. No attempt was made to match the architectural styles of the rest of the buildings. What you see here is a passage under the food court and security screening areas, which allowed baggage carts coming from concourses C and D to access the bag rooms on the north side, in between concourses A and B.

Notice the rounded corners on the top and bottom of the structure. These had what I estimated to be a 12" radius which works out to 0.030" in 1:400 scale. I'm getting quite nervous about the practicality of constructing these in paper in such a small scale and getting the proper curvature here. Do you guys have any tips on how I might pull it off?
in progress 26.jpg

IndyJets

Jan 2, 2022
Putting it all together just to make sure everything fits the way it's supposed to.... all that remains to be built are concourses B and C which will be in the bottom center of this view.

End to end, this whole complex measures 52 inches across... and that is in 1:400 scale! In the real world it's roughly 1,736 feet... and it scales out PERFECTLY! Which proves that everything is not only correctly sized, but correctly aligned as well.

in progress 27.jpg

IndyJets

Jan 2, 2022
Super-awesome! For your first CG work this is outstanding! Regarding the corners, I think you could skip them if they are too small OR turn them into one straight edge like this:

View attachment 200523
Well, this solution also has the added advantage of eliminating some wonky geometry issues I was getting from the plugin I was using to create the rounded corners. I can create these shapes myself with no plugin...

in progress 26.jpg

IndyJets

Jan 2, 2022
Indeed! Always remember: In 3D geometry curves consist of straight lines attached to each other at an angle. The more lines are used the smoother the curve becomes. ;)
Exactly right. I am reminded of the old days in Microsoft Flight Simulator when a 12-sided fuselage cross section was considered a major breakthrough (the standard before that was 8 sides)...