Imperial Guard Tank-fest

upsilonman

Jan 4, 2014
Hiya, with the recent IG codex update Ive decided to start a mech IG army. Im basing the vehicles off of Patoroch's awesome models although Im simplifying the templates so I don't spend too much time on each tank.

Leman Russ's first as Ive always loved the models. I made 1 for testing first.
View attachment 129818
It came out ok, although the blue was too dark on paper + it took too long to build so I simplified the template further.
View attachment 129817 View attachment 129816

The turret guns and sponsons are adjustable to keep things flexible. The only thing I haven't done yet is the sponson+hull guns as Im thinking of doing them with plastic spares + maybe magnets.

4 Russes should be enough for standard games although Id like to make more later :D

Next up is artillery :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanginus

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
nice looking model. Generally speaking, I find WarHammer tanks "Steqampunk" cool, but take a lot of the effort, and seeing how the designs are so impractical, I can't find myself compelled to build one, when I could build an model of a real tank. I certainly do enjoy looking at them though, and this one came out really nice. I think it stinks that you can't use them in sanctioned games, but playing with a group of friends is more fun anyways! :)

upsilonman

Jan 4, 2014
Thanks! Yeh, I only plan to game with them at my local gaming club and never at a GW store so thats not an issue with me :)

Years ago, the first tank I scratch built was a Baneblade from plans inside White Dwarf - it's sad to see how the company has changed :(

upsilonman

Jan 4, 2014
Next up are chimera variants. I'm starting with some wyverns, a hydra and a manticore - then I'll make some vanilla chimeras and some hellhounds. At some point Id like to add some krieg style enclosed basilisks/medusas/griffons but that probably wont be for a while.

View attachment 129823
Thats my wyvern test build - I think the shape is mostly ok but the barrel nozzles are too large + body may be too flat. hmm...

Last edited:

upsilonman

Jan 4, 2014
Next up are some support in the form of; 1x hydra (seem less awesome in the latest codex but I love the design), 1x manticore (love em, was gunna make 3 but the missile nose cones were a PITA and came out awful) & 3x wyverns (seem quite popular).
View attachment 129938

Im on limited time for this project so have had to a) make some compromises on detail (I figure I can also add more later) and b) streamline the building of duplicate items. For anyone else mass producing models Id recommend a few things that helped me;

* Build one model all the way through to work out kinks. I always find stuff I need to tweak before I start a batch!
* Make templates to aid cutting of foamboard/corrugated card. Ive not gone nuts strengthening these models but I have strengthen key places and having a cutting template really helped.
* Get a production line going making all same parts in batches. Some may find this excruciatingly borring but I found it much quicker.

View attachment 129939
e.g. See a pile of finished hulls next to a stack of pre cut card fillers (with their template in front) and a stack of 8 track sections ready to go.

Think Ill do something fun next like a super heavy. I should really assemble/paint my troops so I have the start of a viable army but screw it - I like big tanks! :D

Last edited:

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
Great job on the simplifications. I go the other extreme in adding more stuff to the templates. If you are not a member over at dakkadakka, http://www.dakkadakka.com/ I would recommend it for further ideas, up to date rules and painting. Enjoy and be sure to show your army when done. Enjoy and see you around the forum.

upsilonman

Jan 4, 2014
Thanks dude. I only simplify as time is so limited for me atm (time off following a new baby) so if I could turn out some of the crazy stuff you've done I would do ;)

Thanks for the dakka tip - I tend to mostly lurk on forums but got pretty hooked on paper modelling recently so thought Id share what Ive done.

Cheers!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You have a newborn and have time for something else, it must be the sleep deprivation!! My respect for you has risen 10 fold!! :)

upsilonman

Jan 4, 2014
Finally Im (pretty much) done with the baneblade.
View attachment 130761

Since this is a center piece to the army I went all out and put the max detail/griblies in - well... I did simplify the track section, Ive seen folks talk of "1/2 an hour per track link" (not to mention all the wheels) and there was no way I would/could repeat that. Ive still sunk way more time into this than I should have though - easily more on just this one than all of the first 10 tanks combined! So I doubt I'll have the time for one of these for quite a while.

It has been very satisfying though - and I do like all the details in this template, especially the engine;
View attachment 130763

I was surprised the shrine part is blank in the template, so I found a pic on the intertubes and stuck it in.

Ive also made the sponson turrets and main turret removable - so I can make a Hellhammer too;
View attachment 130762

Next up (when the wife calms down a bit...) will be either some chimeras & hell hounds, or maybe I should start on the troops...

Last edited: