i'm officially insane

freddyman

hello everyone. i am making one hell of a announcement. i weighed my options and decided to do something crazy. not only is it a large model, i'm doing a 1: 1 scale paper model replica of one of my favorite dromaeosaur species. the theropod i'm doing is bambiraptor feinbergi. bambiraptor was a small maniraptoran related to creatures such as dromaeosaurus and deinonychus. it also share close relations to our modern theropods, the birds. it was feathered and is even thought to have been able to fly/ glide for certain distances. i'm basing my model on the holotype, which is described to have been roughly 90 cm or 35 inches in in total length. i'm working off of known material from sed skeleton. but it is important to note that the holotype of bambiraptor( which is also the only specimen, p.s. that is unless the evidence presented quite recently marks sauronornitholestes as a synonymous taxon) is believed to have not been fully grown. so it is likely that bambirapter was larger as it reach maturity.

i already drew out the plans from various sources such as scott hartmans beautiful skeletal restorations
bambiraptor_by_scotthartman-dski88.jpg

a skull restoration from Burnham, 2004.
Bambiraptor_skull.jpg

museum mounts
bambiraptor_step11_by_hannay1982-d51qdzk.jpg

and finally, various drawings so i could have an idea of it's muscles, external anatomy, feathers and possible color schemes.
Bambiraptor-dinosaurs-28302708-700-353.jpg

bambiraptor_by_smnt2000-d392mes.jpg

restore_folded_dinowings_by_smnt2000-d5er63e.jpg

restore_open_dinowings_by_smnt2000-d5fy8vs.jpg

dino_feathers___head_by_smnt2000-d7eeeid.jpg

600x600.jpg

wish me luck on this endeavor.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is truly an announcement! HOLY - a life-size papersaur! Incredible. (I smell another "sticky" in the making ;) .)

Do not worry about your sanity - just do it and join the club (I sense my sanity fading away slowly, too :D ) ! :Drinks:

mcusanelli

You're not crazy, you're a very talented artist, so I'm sure you can pull it off - and it's going to be AMAZING! Once you start to build big stuff, you may not want to go back! That's happening to me, only problem is, my house isn't getting bigger to hold all of it:)

freddyman

nah, i'm crazy. lol

on a serious not, i have finished the external anatomy of the upper jaws. despite making quite a lot of these models. holding it's head in my hand is just something different. to think that what i'm holding is near exactly like the actual animal is kind of exciting. i should be able to post pics tomorrow.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Very interesting. I really want to see this develop! :)

Netizenzero

I had a paper dinosaurs book as a kid that was full of plans for 3D paper models of dinosaurs. They weren't very sophisticated, but it is really what got me interested in modeling. This is going to be awesome to watch.

freddyman

hello everybody. unfortunately, i won't be posting pictures this week due to travels. i would upload as soon as i get back. but, i do have some photos of the prototype build of the top jaw.
heres the pics
1_1_scale_bambiraptor_paper_model_wip_by_spinosaurus1-d8yyaqx.jpg

1_1_scale_bambiraptor_paper_model_wip_2_by_spinosaurus1-d8yyb1l.jpg

Netizenzero

I can't imagine the skill it would take to do something like this. Kudos! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress!