If it was Canadian would it be an Eh-Wing?

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
I've put my revisit to HMS Victory on hold (still need to get some bits and pieces) and embarked upon building my favourite Star Wars fighter.

Not the X-Wing, although it's right up there, it's the fighter that took down the Executor in Return of the Jedi....

Yes, the RZ-1A A-Wing Interceptor! It's the upgraded SF paper gallery version and I'm intending to try a few new things.

Firstly I have built this one before and was seriously unhappy with the cockpit canopy. This time I've made a mould to get the curve right, and here it is! I'm planning to apply some heat via a hair dryer to shape the clear plastic into the correct curvature.

IMG_20210615_120119.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Is that 2 part epoxy? Looks like Play-Doh? In any event, a great way to make a cockpit! :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
So one of the things I wanted to try was the torpedo/missile launchers. I was unhappy with them just being black lines on the hull, so....

I cut them out and took some black paper and rolled it into the approximate diameter. I don't think it came out too bad :)

IMG_20210626_205033.jpg
IMG_20210626_203053.jpg

And a front view

IMG_20210626_205043.jpg

Interestingly according to the technical manuals, the missile launcher tubes run parallel to the outer hull, not in a straight line as you would think

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
What do you cut with? I would suggest getting some very sharp scissors, I also have a curved scissor set, and either cut on or behind the line, I try to remove the part edge liness, so but cutting on them, they tend to disappear. Ex-acto Blades make for brutish edges which can be cleaned up using some fine sand paper. I rarely use them. The exhaust port pieces aren't mirror imaged. It looks like an "A" wing bumped into the rear of this one. Your thumb makes a great radius tool for rounding out and matches pieces like this. If you look at Bigpeter's builds, you will see the care he takes one these kinds of details. Your technique has so vastly increased, you've entered the realm where you have to really pay attention to the finer detail to make yourself reach your personal best. All lit up, this will be an awesome model. ;)