I'd Like to get started in G Scale

bf109

Hi All! I would like to get into G scale Garden Railroading. How should I start?

Jim

start by buying it sign1 and having a garden(last 1 is opt.):mrgreen:

sry cant help myself :mad: how about making a layout of the track , seems a good place to start

Triplex

Those (particularly the Armstrong set) are biased toward operation-oriented layout design, which is not usually the way garden railroads are built.

cidchase

Perhaps true; this is the exact point upon which Fred already expanded.
The main points are, to avoid the "aimless railroad syndrome" which I am afraid affects many garden setups; and to prompt the builder to ponder his true desire regarding scenery/environment, prototype (if any), degree of realism, etc., etc. :thumb:

Hopefully these can provide a better direction to the project, preventing one from following bf109's first recommendation first (I realize it is just tongue-in-cheek, but it seems like this is "usually the way garden railroads are built":cry:). And assist with the track layout, as bf109 suggests.

ANYHOW, Fishcarver, the first thing to do is just what you are doing. Read, read, read, and ask questions. Knowledge is power!:mrgreen: There is a Garden Railroad Magazine (don't really know if that's the name) but it has some well thought out layouts and photos.

I myself don't have any urge to build a garden railroad (although gardening is my other main hobby, on par with if not surpassing my modelling) - however, I do have a fascination with the detailing possibilities in large scale, and am thinking that a USA Trains SD40-2 and an Aristo SD45 in thrashed and patched SP livery would make for a pretty cool display.....

Of course, the more I think about it, I'd need a few freight cars to go behind the engines, and I'd probably extend the display track enough that I could run them all a couple of feet....

Fishcarver

Thanks Guys!

I have the garden and have been looking for the railroad. As we are out on the West Coast, I would sort of like to have a bit of a Swiss look to this. What should I read and what sort of G scale kit should I be looking at?
Thanks!
Jim